Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Deluxe Hard Bags - Closure Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 07:37 PM
softail2005
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harley Deluxe Hard Bags - Closure Problem

The folks who have purchased the factory hard bags for the Deluxe are surprised to learn about the small capacity of the bags. But the problem with bags not closing tight is an even bigger issue.

I think that the mfg forgot to install a roller on the inside latch bar on the flat end that the top latch crosses over when closing the lid.
I have discovered that if I take duct tape and wrap about a 3/4 " circle wide around that narrow end of the bar until it is about 1" thick it pulls the lid in very tight. The more tape you put on the bar the tighter the lid will close. Mine now overlapes when it closes a good 1/2 inch, and its tight. If you wrap it tight as you circle around the bar it makes a very neat job and should last a long time.

In fact if someone has a good alternative to fit a piece of metal bar or rubber that will do the same job, it might be a permant fix for the problem. The longer I looked at the latch and bar that the latch hooks to the more I think the mfg forgot to finish the job.

I thought about bending the bar but the bar is rivited direct to the fiberglass bag and looks like it would be easy to pop it loose. The bar itself is very strong, but the plastic latch mechanism on the lid appears to be very weak. I have my doubts about the life of that item.

Just wanted to share my experience with the latch. Mine now fits tight enough that it may be waterproof. I do think you could put a rubber weatherstrip on the back edge to keep the water penetration down to a min.

A crazy fix for a $750 item, huh!

Lee

Old 08-14-2006, 09:16 PM
Bluerose
Default RE: Harley Deluxe Hard Bags - Closure Problem

Yeah we thought the closure was odd to. Kept looking for a way to adjust it...then finally got rid of the bags.

Old 08-14-2006, 09:55 PM
softail2005
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"bluerose"

You lucked out by getting the dealer to take back the bags. I did not know about the Leatherworks bags, I would have done exactly what you did. Too late for me. I will live with what I have until my wife gets tired of packing the T-bag and then we might reconsider a change to leather bags.

I do understand that a few folks on this forum have resold their bags on e-bay. I wonder if they were able to recover much of the origional cost?

Old 08-15-2006, 03:44 AM
Bluerose

Yeah it was good they took them back, but still having some troubles with the bag on the left side hiting the axle nut...hubby and I have been going over a support we can rig for the bottom of the bags. We have both come up with several designs....just can't decide what will be best.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:57 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had been trying to buy some for a long time.

They often sell for the same or more than you can buy them from Zanotti's.

Old 08-15-2006, 10:46 AM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I have seen them selling on e bay between 450 to 500 dollars. I bought mine brand new delivered to my door for $630.00 from mark at M & M cycle Ohio that was about a $100 dollar savings from my dealer who give you 10% discount on HD parts as long as you have the bike and bought it there. I also saved over $400 dollars on the legends air ride my dealer offers no discount on after market parts. As far as the fix a friend has bent the metal bar inside and said it helped a lot.