Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Venting crankcase

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 07:17 AM
FLSTF
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Venting crankcase

Ok, I'm going to vent the crankcase to the atmosphere so I don't get oil back in throttle body and motor. Was wondering if any of you have done this on a softail and if so, where did you run the hose? Pics would be great! Thanks.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:03 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Usually when you are getting oil out of the breather you can fix this by only filling the oil tank to half way up on the dipstick. A lot of people also end up venting their breather back plate by drilling it and adding a small filter as opposed to venting their crank case. I don't think venting the crank case is necessary.

Here is a link that shows a vented breather with pics. Third post in the thread I believe.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...cs-please.html
Drew

Old 06-17-2010, 06:59 PM
FLSTF
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Usually when you are getting oil out of the breather you can fix this by only filling the oil tank to half way up on the dipstick. A lot of people also end up venting their breather back plate by drilling it and adding a small filter as opposed to venting their crank case. I don't think venting the crank case is necessary.

Here is a link that shows a vented breather with pics. Third post in the thread I believe.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...cs-please.html
Drew
That's what I meant Dr. V-Twin, I was in a hurry this morning when I posted this on my way out the door and worded it wrong. I have a heavy breather and am wanting to drill and tap a couple of holes and run some hose to a tee and then down along the frame somewhere. I was just curious where some people have run the hose on softails. On touring or dynas I think you can run it down behind the cylinders but on softails you have to run it differently. Thanks for the reply.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:27 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Check out Mud's postings in the "DIY under fifty bux" thread in the Dyna section.
He's made up a couple of different breather sstups for his Dyna that should work just as well on a Softail's "B" motor.
Try looking on the last couple of pages first for his latest version.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:27 AM
coop57
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Drew lowering the amount of oil in your tank helps.
But before I learnd this trick I vented my fatboy.
check the softail dirt cheap mods - homade breather kit about the twentieth post I provided pics.