Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me , before I break it!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 08:42 AM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help me , before I break it!!

Can anyone please tell me how to take the fuel gauge apart on a 2006 night train, fuel injected model if it matters?????

I painted the gas cap but cant get the gauge out. It pops out of the tank and the wire from it goes through the tank to the under side of the tank. Where it is then plugged into another connector. The connector is too big to be pulled through the tank so thats out.

Unless im completely missing something here, im really lost and it looks funny with one painted and one not ahahah

help me, I feel stupid right now

thanks

jc

Attached Thumbnails Help me , before I break it!!-sdcfsdbf-v-005.jpg  
Old 07-19-2010, 08:53 AM
likestoride
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be able to detach it right at the connector and then pull it through.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:54 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

You can get the wires out of the connectors with a fine screwdriver. Just remember where they plugged into and then when finished, you just plug them back in.

Or ... you cut of the connector and solder the wires back together when finished. Don't forget to shrink wrap them.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Mordrapheus
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have a look if this helps you:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...with-pics.html

you need to pull the wires out of the connector end piece and then reinsert them. Nothing hard or major.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:07 AM
jcallesano
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mordrapheus

you need to pull the wires out of the connector end piece and then reinsert them. Nothing hard or major.

WOW...thats so great, I really apprecaite that. Ill be getting those shortly. Considering When I was trying to get my gauge out I tried to twist the chrome cap off the gauge...HAHAAH didnt work but now the part that tells you how much gas you have is not centered in the clear plastic see through part which is now scratched from me twisting it without being patient. DAAAAAAAAAAAA patience is a virtue.. live and learn I suppose huh : /

But now I know how to do this with or without installing new flush mounts.

What tool would/should I use to re-insert the wires back into the little connector piece??

Old 07-19-2010, 09:18 AM
Mordrapheus
Road Warrior

when re-inserting the wires back in, just make sure that the little tab that holds it into place is slightly raised and then just slide the wire back in by hand. Nothing complicated

Old 07-19-2010, 09:23 AM
jcallesano
Road Warrior

when re-inserting the wires back in, just make sure that the little tab that holds it into place is slightly raised and then just slide the wire back in by hand. Nothing complicated

What about trying to re center the gauge part inside the gauge housing, With my ignornace I tried twisting the chrome cap off but in "turn" wound up somehow turning the internals of the gauge and now its not centered. Ive tried twisting it back but just scuffed up the clean viewing window. Anyway to dissmantle the gauge assembly so I can fix it? the small screws i the back dont do anything for loosening the parts.

Thanks again

Old 07-19-2010, 09:24 AM
SpicOfTheDevil
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What tool would/should I use to re-insert the wires back into the little connector piece??
2 hands and 10 fingers, once they are in, lightly pull to make sure they are properly seated...take a pic of the connector before pulling the wires so you have a reference where they go....

Old 07-20-2010, 08:43 AM
jcallesano
Road Warrior

OK OK OK OK OK ...........
I got the connector out of the little clip that attaches to the frame after messing with it for 20 mins. I did not lift the tank for this. I got it out and disconnected the gauge connector from the other connector...BUT, could not for the life of me get the wires out of the connector..There is plastic flap thing that flops out makin me think that they would jsut come right out after......NOPE, i wiggled and moved back anf forth for another 20 mins before I cursed and put it all back together.

I even tried pushing the wire out from the inside of the connector, didnt work either.

WHAT THE HECK......help here

Old 07-20-2010, 08:51 AM
Mordrapheus
Road Warrior

mmm not sure how to explain this.
the ends of the wire have a metallic clip end looking like what you see sticking out on the connecting side of the connector. this cylindrical clip has a small tab cut out that is bend form laying flat along the cylinder up a little so that it catches a ledge inside the plastic housing of the connector. You need to insert a very small thin object (like an unbent paper clip or screw driver tip of a reading glass screw driver) into the connector side of the connector to push this tab flat so you can then pull the wire out.
I like like the buckle system found on backpacks.

I hope that made sense. Isn;t a very good description.

Quick Reply: Help me , before I break it!!