Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil question....

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 11:15 AM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SportyReb
So, let's see. You have a bike worth over 10 grand, and you want to scrimp on the oil by using some leftovers laying around your shop???

OOOOOOOOOOKK !!!!

KISS

+ 1 million

Old 07-29-2010, 11:55 AM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveInClanton
Just go to Amsoil website and enter your bike model and year. It will give all your fluids and quantities.

He can get all that info for free here, without the SpAmsoil ads...

Old 07-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And the beat goes on,,,and on,,and on..........

Put some Redline 20/50 in her

Old 07-29-2010, 01:25 PM
Finn111
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you change your oil frequently (4000-5000mi.) do it. Unless you use something like the Scavenger where you remove all the old oil, there is about 1/2 to 3/4 qt of old oil in the crankcase, So unless you use the same Brand/Type/Weight every time you change your oil,you will always be mixing them.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:04 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default oil

I would not mix them its OK if you want to run different oil in the primery and the motor but do not mix them together. I run sync in my primary and reg 20/50 in the motor tranny gets red line

Old 07-29-2010, 09:40 PM
OzarkHarleyguy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SportyReb
So, let's see. You have a bike worth over 10 grand, and you want to scrimp on the oil by using some leftovers laying around your shop???

OOOOOOOOOOKK !!!!

KISS

No its not about scrimping. I probably left that impression because I said that was the oil I had on-hand. But its about the information or maybe the mis-information about oil. I've read from quite a few web sites today and there is certainly a variety of information out there that is completely contradictory. Here is some info I gathered and questions I have about this issue:

--Some say do not mix syn with dino; but how is that different from what mfr's do and sell it as a synthetic blend??

--Some say to mix syn and dino you gunk up an engine; but again how is that different than a syn blend?

--Some say do not mix oil with different weights; but if you mix Castrol 20W50 with a 10W40 why would that do anything other than lower the weight of the 20W50 a bit??

So if you change your oil often I'm not finding any evidence that doing a little mixing is a bad thing at all. No one that I've seen indicated it did any harm whatsoever to the engine. I called the Harley dealer and the service Mgr said he had been on a trip and was low on oil and the only thing the station had was some straight 30W dino oil. He used that and it really didn't seem to make any difference. I would have thought in this heat that would be bad. But I suppose the alternative was to run being a qt low and that would have been worse.

So IMHO it seems a lot of what we are repeating is what we have heard rather than first-hand factual knowledge. It makes for some interesting discussion but discussing oil is almost like politics and religion; not many seem to be able to have an intellectual discussion without getting crazy in da head. LOL; Thanks for the replies. I'll keep studying.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:05 PM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior

That motor is so well built It can take it but I think you could add a just a spoon full of sugar too.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:58 PM
XXRugerXX
Advanced

Originally Posted by Soft06
And the beat goes on,,,and on,,and on.........
Yep

Old 07-30-2010, 07:27 PM
OzarkHarleyguy
Road Captain

We'll see what happens. I put Harley full syn 20W50 and two qts Castrol 20W50. It seemed to run cooler today in 101 degree heat. I'll probably leave that in til I change to something lighter weight for the winter. Thanks for those that offered advice.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:33 PM
TI06
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Sounds like you're making a smoothie.

Quick Reply: Oil question....