Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustache engine guard for Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Idaho Spud
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mustache engine guard for Heritage

Has anyone purchased/seen the new Mustache Engine Guard. I like it because it is simple and incorporates the ability to ride stretched out like you have highway pegs but you don't have all the extra hardware so it looks clean. The only problem I see is that highway pegs are adjustable where this is not.

Before I drop $250 I want to see if anyone has any experience/opinions.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:40 PM
shineybike
Road Captain

I've never riddeen a bike with one of those bars, but I have long legs and it seems that if my feet were on the top of the mustache bar, my knees would be way to high. I have the harley engine guard and have highway pegs set as low as they will go.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:50 PM
Yosemite
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got one on my Fatboy. I'm 5'6" and have a Sundowner seat on the bike so the reach to the built in footrests was a bit of a stretch for me.

For me, putting my feet up there felt like I was near setting on the floor with my legs stretched straight out. I was pulled forward to reach them and could not rest against the back of the seat.

In the end, I added pegs just above the running board.

That said, I like the bar and would choose it again over the others simply for it's looks. BTW, its of good quality and easy to install.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:23 PM
bloomington g
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have that bar on mine. I use the bar as a footrest once in a while but it is not a very comfortable position. I use the pegs I put on the gard more often.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Chips
Road Warrior

as others have stated....
they look great but might not be the best if you have short legs.

I find with the 360 pegs attached I have the best of all foot positions.
I like the looks and it makes for a great ( comfortable ) combination

here is the set-up on my Heritage....

Attached Thumbnails Mustache engine guard for Heritage-653654992_hpwh5-o.jpg  
Old 09-15-2010, 03:29 PM
Soft422
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Idaho Spud
Has anyone purchased/seen the new Mustache Engine Guard. I like it because it is simple and incorporates the ability to ride stretched out like you have highway pegs but you don't have all the extra hardware so it looks clean. The only problem I see is that highway pegs are adjustable where this is not.

Before I drop $250 I want to see if anyone has any experience/opinions.
I have the mustache engine guard on my '08 Heritage and I love it. I am only 5'10", with a 30" inseam I and can use the foot rests just fine.

Last edited by Soft422; 09-15-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Crossb0nes
Cruiser

I nearly bought the moustache guard for my bones, I came to the conclusion that the built in footrest look simply too high to be practical, so went for the classic guard instead.

They look great though, though IMHO don't drop the dollars if you think you will be saving on highway pegs, your still gonna have to buy em

Old 09-15-2010, 05:36 PM
Idaho Spud
Road Master

5'8" and a 29 inch inseam. Sounds like the Nostalgia Engine Guard and 360 peg mounts would work a little better for me. Anyone agree/disagree? Thank you all for your input.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Crossb0nes
Cruiser

Agree .... I got a nostalgia on it's way, though I haven't decided on peg mounts yet. Just installed Harley goodies so gonna wait til I used to them and figure out what best for me.

I'm 29 inseam too though 5'11 tall

Old 09-15-2010, 05:53 PM
shorinji
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Idaho Spud
5'8" and a 29 inch inseam. Sounds like the Nostalgia Engine Guard and 360 peg mounts would work a little better for me. Anyone agree/disagree? Thank you all for your input.
I had the Nostalgia engine guard on my 2010 Heritage. Being 5' 8" with 30" inseam and having foot boards made highway pegs impossible to find. Take in consideration the guards are bent without a flat area for adjustment. I figured a offset adjustable peg may work centered on the guard. Moving it up or down would bring it out of level. I could barely reach my guards!

Quick Reply: Mustache engine guard for Heritage