Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander and ECM Settings for Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 08:01 AM
auburn08
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Commander and ECM Settings for Fatboy

Im the new owner of an 02 Fatboy. It has Vance and Hines Big Shot Staggered pipes with baffles and a Roland Sans high flow A/C. It also has the Power Commander III installed. The PO said he did not download the a new map to account for the A/C. I do not have the PC CD software and was going to download when i came across the different mapping options. Here are my questions:
-How do i know if i have the stage 1 ecm or stock
-What is the difference bw stage one and stock
-If i need stage one how do i get that?
-Was looking at either the M805-180 (2004) or M805-208 (2006) for the stock ecm and the M805-181 (2004) or M805-132,-126(?) for the stage 1 ecm. Not sure what to pick.

There is a little hesitation of idle and an occassoinal cough back through the air filter after engine breaking on decel and pulling in the clutch. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:54 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 203 Posts

Congratulations on getting the bike! There's a ton of information here on this site, so don't be afraid of using the search feature with a few select keywords, and you will likely find any answer you're looking for.

That being said, you are already at Stage 1 - Stage 1 consists of exhaust, a heavy breather and a fuel management upgrade.

I'd guess that the bike probably has the stock ECM, so I'd start with maps set up for that combination and see how they work. You should also be able to pull the part number from the ECM, either via visual inspection or perhaps from the internal diagnostic menu? Not sure what is available for an '02.

Good luck, and have fun!

Roger

Old 10-11-2010, 10:30 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

If you dont have the SERT CD you cant scan your ECM to find out if it is the stock MAP or Stage 1 etc. You acn have the dealer do it but it will cost $ and you dont really need it since you can do trial and error to find a PC MAP that works for you or have the bike dynoed and get a custom MAP.

Power Commander has the software on their website for free down load. They also have a MAP Library. Try to find the closest combo to your set up and try the MAP . See how it runs and go from there. In most cases you are making the fule ratio richer so there is little chance that you could damage the engine with a wrong MAP. Try a few and see what runs best, check the color of the exhaust pipe and plugs.

The best PC guys for canned MAPS are Fuel Moto,they give lifetime free MAP support with the purchase of a PC from them and can help you get your bike as close to perfect as possible without a dyno. I dont know if you call them and can work out somethuing to purchase MAP support from them but there MAP library is hugh compared to the PC one.

The best way is to get your bike on a dyno and build a custom MAP.