Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive "drop in" springs for Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 12:23 PM
Santo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL, yeah i have trouble with my jack also. I drive it up on a car ramp a bit then slide the jack under it, kind of a pain but thats the price we pay..

Old 10-27-2010, 12:47 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Brancajd
I will take some pictures and upload them....I dropped the front, I guess, 2"?...I used a 3" spacer that progressive recommends....for the rear, the bolts say up to 2" lower, so I'm not sure. I can tell you this though. I can no longer slide my craftsman motorcycle/atv lift under my frame now :-(
Need to figure out a way to compensate for that?
Glad it worked out for you

I took a couple of 2x6 blocks about 18' long and ride the bike up on them before placing the jack under it

Old 10-27-2010, 02:45 PM
Brancajd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MAN! LOL! You guys are AWESOME! I KNEW SOMEONE would have an answer for compensating for the 2" loss! AGAIN! This website is priceless! Thanks for the ideas guys! I'll be hitting The Home Depot over the weekend!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:33 AM
Brancajd
Cruiser

OK....today was the first time that I rode my bike since installing the progressive springs. First impression: you WILL feel every bump in the road! There's no give. It's a much firmer/stiffer ride, and it's going to be. The front springs are compressed more and the rear shock are extended more....not much room for absorption. Second thing I noticed was that the handle bars were further away. Didn't cross my mind before hand..but notice it now. May not be a big deal for someone with longer arms, but for the vertically challenged, like myself, that 2" can make a difference in comfort. I have a pair of risers from a deluxe that I may throw on there for ***** and giggles to see if that feels better for me. Again, these are things that I noticed and just wanted to share with those of you considering doing this mod.

***On a side note, I am going to start a new thread on an oil issue....

Old 10-28-2010, 10:04 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Brancajd
OK....today was the first time that I rode my bike since installing the progressive springs. First impression: you WILL feel every bump in the road! There's no give. It's a much firmer/stiffer ride, and it's going to be. The front springs are compressed more and the rear shock are extended more....not much room for absorption. Second thing I noticed was that the handle bars were further away. Didn't cross my mind before hand..but notice it now. May not be a big deal for someone with longer arms, but for the vertically challenged, like myself, that 2" can make a difference in comfort. I have a pair of risers from a deluxe that I may throw on there for ***** and giggles to see if that feels better for me. Again, these are things that I noticed and just wanted to share with those of you considering doing this mod.

***On a side note, I am going to start a new thread on an oil issue....
I dont understand how the distance between you and the handlebars changed by lowering the bike? The whole bike is now just 2 " or so lower but you did nothing to the seat, frame, bars or risers so the distances between them are all the same only everything is now lower to the ground.

Regarding the ride, anytime you take away suspension travel there may be some compromise in ride quality. In the bikes we have lowered I find that the drop in kits compromise the ride more than the original lowering kit because the drop i nlowers the bike by creating a controled amount of spring sag to shorten the forks and lower the bike. The original style lowering kits replace the springs that limit the lenght of the forks and make the forks shorter and this allows you to properly preload your fork springs to your style of riding. They are more work to install because you have to disassemble the lower leg to install the damper springs but I think they are worth the extra labor and in most cases the original kit is a little less $ they can be found for about 89.00

Old 10-28-2010, 09:24 PM
Brancajd
Cruiser

I am not rocket scientist..all I can tell you is that there was a difference! The seat is still in the same position, but the front is lowered by 2". Think about it. It's lowering the front end away from the driver, I guess it changes the rake/angle...again..i don't know. Not only did i have to readjust my bars, but also my mirrors. ...This was my experience...just sharing. Maybe i am an anomaly? The more i am driving it today, the more i like it. Well worth the money and time...

Last edited by Brancajd; 10-29-2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:49 AM
opencaliber
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you change the fork oil to the heavier weight? I 've had my front lowering kit for several months and never got around to installing it, but now I bought chrome front forks and thinking about doing everything at one time. I'm 5'5'' myself and not to crazy about having the grips further away. Hmmm?

Old 10-29-2010, 09:44 AM
Brancajd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by opencaliber
Did you change the fork oil to the heavier weight? I 've had my front lowering kit for several months and never got around to installing it, but now I bought chrome front forks and thinking about doing everything at one time. I'm 5'5'' myself and not to crazy about having the grips further away. Hmmm?
I used the regular, type E oil, and used the recommended 3" spacer. Had I used the heavier oil, I couldn't possibly imagine what the ride would be like as it's already stiff enough...for me that is. As far as the reach goes, I'm not trying to argue with Xaran, just offering my unique experience. The only thing I can think of, is by lowering the front suspension down, it's going to increase the reach forward by a little bit? (makes sense in my mind..but then again, I am a bit twisted..LOL) It wasn't drastic, but it was noticeable..at least for me anyhow?

It's all a matter of preference....start with the type E or start with the heavier and go from there. See which works best for you.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:55 PM
silvernblack
Stage IV

hey guys, I installed 2" lower springs in my flstci and my forks started leaking immediately after I started riding. Where did I go wrong, I just pulled the old ones out and dropped new ones in.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:31 PM
pipeman1978
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I have a question?

Originally Posted by XARAN
`
Yes the sheet metal around the forks behind the headlight., comes off with a few bolts, be careful not to bend it

Lower the fork tubes about 3 inches to just above the bottom triple clamp so you have room to remove the caps and springs, You can do it withut taking the fork tubes out completely.

The plugs are under spring pressure, but nothing you cant control with your hand, just be aware of it so it does not suprise you. When you put the new drop in kit in the lower you go with it the less preload pressure so it is easy to install the caps/ plugs
I haven't looked at my manual as it's at the place I store the bike at. My question is could you remove the bolts for the tins behind the headlight and remove the rear tin to gain access to the pinch bolts? Then just remove caliper and speedo or is there not enough wire for fender tip lighting to pull whole assembly out? I have to do this cause I was unaware of these spring not being able to just drop in. And really don't have the extra time to tare into all this. It's at the shop now with a top end rebuild. Should I just have them do it while it's there?