Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive "drop in" springs for Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Brancajd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progressive "drop in" springs for Heritage

I have a 2006 Heritage softail classic and I'm going to be putting in the progressive lowering drop in springs in the front fork tubes. I do have a shop manual. According to progressive's website, it's an easy 30 minute job! After reading through the manuals front fork section, I am unclear as to whether or not the slider tube caps (shiney chrome big bolts on top of triple tree) are under spring pressure or not? To me, they aren't. The fork tube plugs are, according to the manual anyway. Looking at the schematic, I don't see a circlip that would hold the fork tube plug in place though?!?!?! The second I unscrew the slider tube caps, is all hell is going to break loose in my face? Has anyone installed these in their heritage and if so, what can I expect?

Thanks,
Jay

Old 10-22-2010, 10:56 AM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have not done this on an HD bike but I have on some metrics. There is some tension/pressure on the caps but not much unless you have the bike on the ground. Put it on the jack and keep the weight off of the front wheel and there should be little worry.

Which springs did you go with? I am thinking of doing this as well to get rid of my 2 up dive.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't installed them in mine, but I have had those caps off to refill the fluid.

They are not spring loaded.
Put some tape or something on your wrench so as not to damage the chrome.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Brancajd
Cruiser

I went with Progressive Suspension Drop-In Front Fork Lowering System, part number
0416-0037.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Brancajd
Cruiser

OK...I guess it's safe to assume that they aren't going to flyoff in my face! There's a video on youtube, but it's on a dyna, and the caps are under spring tension even with the front wheel suspended. Different setup I guess?
Just to be on the safe side, i will raise the front end as well, and see what happens.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Malingerer
Road Warrior

That 30 min install does not pertain to FL front ends.Dont be fooled by that video on the Dyna Street bob.There is alot more involved and it is not the 30 min cake walk that video makes it seem.Its not that hard but there is alot more involved .You have to take off the tire/wheel, drop the lowers and remove some tins etc.Put them in my Deluxe which is basically the same bike as the Heritage

Old 10-22-2010, 11:35 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

Originally Posted by Malingerer
That 30 min install does not pertain to FL front ends.Dont be fooled by that video on the Dyna Street bob.There is alot more involved and it is not the 30 min cake walk that video makes it seem.Its not that hard but there is alot more involved .You have to take off the tire/wheel, drop the lowers and remove some tins etc.Put them in my Deluxe which is basically the same bike as the Heritage

So how does it ride now with the new fronts? I put the 422 rear shocks on the Heritage & the difference is huge.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Santo
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have Progressive drop in on my Deluxe as well, it is gonna take you more then 30 min to do. Just make sure you have the bike on a jack. Also the back needs to be lower then the front, drop the rear first. If i were you I would also change out the fork oil to screaming eagle heavy duty oil or something comprable. IMO you are better off taking both legs off to do this. It's not that hard to do, also the caps are under spring pressure as long as you have your hand on it it wont shoot thru the roof. Make sure you replace the round rubber seals under the fork caps, they'er like a buck a piece. Just take your time and pay attention to what your doing. Good luck and make sure you post pics when your done.

Last edited by Santo; 10-22-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Malingerer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by golfblues
So how does it ride now with the new fronts? I put the 422 rear shocks on the Heritage & the difference is huge.
I put the 422's in the rear as well and have them lowered as much as possible.The front springs are lowered the full 2".I changed the oil to the screaming eagle HD fork oil as well.The ride to me is great I have had no problems and am also running a 21 front from a nighttrain and a 90 90 21 Avon Venom.I feel it handles better now than it ever did. But I am not a aggressive rider.I too live in the Hudson Valley ,NY If you want pm me and you can check out the set up before making the purchase

Old 10-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Brancajd
Cruiser

I lowered the rear, using lowering bolt kit. That wasn't too bad of a job. I really didn't want to disassemble my front end for this project. Progressive makes it sound like a cake walk. I was hoping not to have to remove my front tire, caliper, fender, handle bars, head light, light bar, forks and all the other b.s. just to get this done :-(
Oh well.... like fcsallan said, Will the upgrades and mods ever stop?

Quick Reply: Progressive "drop in" springs for Heritage