Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mids On A Nightrain ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 11:32 PM
Slash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Mids On A Nightrain ?

Please go easy on me as I know most of y'all will think it's a really dumb idea and will look ridiculous as well.I'm just under 5 - 10 with a 32" inseam,I can ride the Nightrain as is,but would like to know my options.

I like the idea of 2 options on long rides,and I perfer mids for local rides in heavy traffic (which I will encounter)

Would it be possible to set a Nightrain up with mid controls and put highway pegs up front ? I'm thinking I could see how the setup works and could always change back to good 'ole standard forward controls if I want to later..

My 1st assumption is that running mids on a softail fram would be put my legs in a bit of a cramped position compared to a Dyna,but if it's not a whole lot different I could live with it.

Old 09-23-2006, 09:56 AM
FXSTI Guy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mids On A Nightrain ?

There would have to be some kind of frame mods/welding/adapters necessary due to the fact there's no flanges/mounting points for mid controls on the train...that and the shift linkage/brake line/kickstand would have to be "engineered"...If it were me I'd try a set of floorboards.

Old 09-23-2006, 02:07 PM
lucospock
Tourer

I'm wondering how the a FX (excepte for the Springer heritage) with floorboad would look like. Anyone tried this? anyone Pics?

Old 09-23-2006, 07:29 PM
GPLRJBRAZIL
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: T 3

Please go easy on me as I know most of y'all will think it's a really dumb idea and will look ridiculous as well.I'm just under 5 - 10 with a 32" inseam,I can ride the Nightrain as is,but would like to know my options.

I like the idea of 2 options on long rides,and I perfer mids for local rides in heavy traffic (which I will encounter)

Would it be possible to set a Nightrain up with mid controls and put highway pegs up front ? I'm thinking I could see how the setup works and could always change back to good 'ole standard forward controls if I want to later..

My 1st assumption is that running mids on a softail fram would be put my legs in a bit of a cramped position compared to a Dyna,but if it's not a whole lot different I could live with it.
Hi T 3

You better try a lower and forward seat, there are many of them from HD and aftermart.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:11 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

When I was "shopping" for a new bike and before I knew the Custom was going to be avalable again I wanted a train. But I'm shorter than you are (5', 7" w/30" inseam) so the forward controls bothered me a LOT. After studying the problem I figured out that its not the foreward controls as much as the handle bars that was causing the problem. They forced me to bend over far enough that the foot controls, not to mention the ground, is actually harder to reach.
The simplest cure I could come up with was to change the handle bars or the risers to bring the train bars back about 2 or 3". That allowed me to sit more upright and reach the foreward controls far more comfortably. The FXST actually fits me better than either the train or the Custom, yet the only real physical difference is in the handle bars and the seat. I can live with any one of the three seats, its just the bars that screw me up.
I am seriously thinking of replacing the mini apes on my custom with the semi buckhorns on the standard. Before I do I'm going to try to tip the mini apes back a little and rotate the grips to maintain their angle. I just hope it can lean back far enough to be comfortable before the angle at the end of the bar changes to where its going to be bending my wrists the wrong way. If it works I won't have to buy new bars.
If I were you I would look into getting a set of pull back risers, or different bars before I went nuts trying to reengineer the controls. One easy way to see if the bars could help is to visit your local HD dealer and just sit on a Custom and a Standard and see how much difference the bars make to how it feels to you. Bet you like the Standard bars as well as I do, but they would not look as nice on a Train as a set of risers that moved the drag bars farther back. Or a new set of drag bars that had pull back risers built in.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:52 PM
Slash
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus
If I were you I would look into getting a set of pull back risers, or different bars before I went nuts trying to reengineer the controls. One easy way to see if the bars could help is to visit your local HD dealer and just sit on a Custom and a Standard and see how much difference the bars make to how it feels to you. Bet you like the Standard bars as well as I do, but they would not look as nice on a Train as a set of risers that moved the drag bars farther back. Or a new set of drag bars that had pull back risers built in.
Thanks great advise,I think you're right on target here.I feel a bit dumb for even starting this thread,probably feeling a bit squidly as I was nearing a decision.Purchased the Nightrain today,the controls should be fine,I like the drag bar's looks,but as is might not be right for long rides.

Now I can finally stop typing and start riding,best to get out there and give it some time. and see what I really think.If I had to guess,I see myself perhaps going with a little bit more pull back at the most,nothing drastic.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:02 AM
Slash
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: GPLRJBRAZIL

Hi T 3

You better try a lower and forward seat, there are many of them from HD and aftermart.
Thanks GPLRJBRAZIL,

Brought the new Train home today,going to ride it as is for a few weeks and see what's up - I sense that the seat height's definitely ok,and my legs feels as if they easily reach the forward controls,my guess is that if those drag bars were another 1.5 inches closer it would probably be perfect but I'll ride it a while and see.Might try something with a mild pullback if that seems right.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:09 AM
FXSTI Guy
Banned

The FXST actually fits me better than either the train or the Custom, yet the only real physical difference is in the handle bars and the seat. I can live with any one of the three seats, its just the bars that screw me up.
I am seriously thinking of replacing the mini apes on my custom with the semi buckhorns on the standard. Before I do I'm going to try to tip the mini apes back a little and rotate the grips to maintain their angle. I just hope it can lean back far enough to be comfortable before the angle at the end of the bar changes to where its going to be bending my wrists the wrong way. If it works I won't have to buy new bars.
Citoriplus...Stopped by the open house they had @ Mile High Harley today and got a look at the '07 Custom...Good looking bike! The seat/backrest setup looks/feels pretty comfy for a long haul and would actually work on my fat fendered '06. As far as bars go I have a set of borrowed Night Train drag bars and risers that I had planned to install and "test ride" on my bike to see if that's the way I wanted to go but honestly the stock bars/badlander seat fit me real well...I'm comfortable riding my Standard as-is I don't really feel cramped on it but 3" forward controls (and a better seat) are definitely in the future!

Old 09-24-2006, 01:01 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

ORIGINAL: FXSTI Guy

Citoriplus...Stopped by the open house they had @ Mile High Harley today and got a look at the '07 Custom...Good looking bike! The seat/backrest setup looks/feels pretty comfy for a long haul and would actually work on my fat fendered '06. As far as bars go I have a set of borrowed Night Train drag bars and risers that I had planned to install and "test ride" on my bike to see if that's the way I wanted to go but honestly the stock bars/badlander seat fit me real well...I'm comfortable riding my Standard as-is I don't really feel cramped on it but 3" forward controls (and a better seat) are definitely in the future!
I have always had a soft spot for the old Customs, so having them bring it back just when I was in the market for a new bike was icing on the cake. As for the seat I'm satisfied with it especially as I often have the Mrs. along with me. So for me that seat is nearly perfect for "our needs.
If I have any complaint at all about the bike its that the bars are a little too far forward and high for me. The forward part I'm trying to address, the height I "may" be able to live with. But I still have the fall back option of plan "B" in going for a set of the Standard bars. As they are farther back and lower I don't think they will have the same effect.
My problem isn't as much my being virtically challenged at 5' 7" I can get my feet on the controls and ground just fine. Its that some 25 years ago I fell off the roof of my house breaking my right elbow and wrist in the process. Now I can't streighten my right arm out completely anymore and I have nerve and circulation damage in that wrist. The way the bike is now I have bad wrist/hand cramping problems after I go more than 30 or so miles at a time. Due to the wind pressures it gets worse or happens faster if I try to cruise at 70mph or so for any distances over about 10 miles. I need the bars to come back to me more. So I'm going to do whatever it takes to make it work. I like this bike WAY too much to worry about if changing the bars will damage its "looks".
I think its better to have a bike I can enjoy riding, rather than just having a great looking bike stuck collecting dust in my garage.

Old 09-24-2006, 01:05 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

Thanks great advise,I think you're right on target here.I feel a bit dumb for even starting this thread,probably feeling a bit squidly as I was nearing a decision.Purchased the Nightrain today,the controls should be fine,I like the drag bar's looks,but as is might not be right for long rides.

Now I can finally stop typing and start riding,best to get out there and give it some time. and see what I really think.If I had to guess,I see myself perhaps going with a little bit more pull back at the most,nothing drastic.
Don't ever think you might have asked a dumb question, how the hell else will you ever learn what's around or possible.
For myself I think the only truly dumb question is the one you DON'T ask, cause sure as hell that one will come back to bite you in the ***.

Quick Reply: Mids On A Nightrain ?