Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERT Tuner question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:51 PM
ambrose
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SERT Tuner question

How hard is this tuner to do yourself?
Do you have to have an internet connection while using this?

Old 12-15-2010, 09:46 PM
2 Dogs
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just had the shop do a new map using my SERT. I watched the install and the process did not look difficult but then again I wasn't doing it. Not sure if they were connected to the net or not but if they were it was wireless. I knnow this isn't much help so hopefuly someone who has tuned will post. The actual process appeared quite easy but you will need to select the program that best matches your set up.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:41 PM
ambrose
Tourer

So I guess that if you have the SE tuner you have to take it to the dealer to have them tune your bike? Has anyone used this tuner yourself and how did the bike run?

Old 12-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

I have the SERT in my Ultra and the dealer just put one in my wife' heritage.
I did not watch either installation but I believe there are canned map's in the software.
The tech selects the map that gives him the closet results to what he is trying to achieve. They may have the option to download different maps from a Software based web site I am not sure.

Somebody on here knows for sure........ Good Luck

Old 12-21-2010, 05:18 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have one and I have done it myself. It's not very hard if you understand what you are changing. There are canned maps you can download too and leave it at that. you can modify the canned maps and the newer tunners you can use the smart tune feature they have too. My bike runs real well.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:11 PM
ambrose
Tourer

Thank Blk and Chrome I think I will try it myself first, I"am smart with computers and the only thing I did with my bike is SE air cleaner and 2 into 1 pipes, also do you have to be connected to the internet while downloading to the bike?

Old 12-21-2010, 01:39 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,048 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Originally Posted by ambrose
How hard is this tuner to do yourself?
Do you have to have an internet connection while using this?
If you are in the market for a fuel management system, the SERT has been OBE. I run the SERT on my '05 95" Deuce. In spite of what others may tell you, it's not a real user friendly system. You really need to understand the software and have some experience tuning to optimize the tune. A novice, with proper instruction can get close but will leave some HP/TQ on the table compared to what a qualified SERT tuner can do with the SERT in the dyno room.

IMHO, there are two better options for the DIY tuner, as you indicate you are. The TTS Mastertune and the new Dynojet Vision system. Dynojet has seen the light and the Vision is a speed density tuner like the SERT or TTS and, from what I have been reading, DJ has targeted DIYtuners with this system and offered many features such as Auto Tune and a bar mounted screen that let's the user monitor the areas he/she is riding in.

I am not a tuner but the Vision is a very interesting system and will probably replace the SERT on my Deuce this winter.