Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFM Automatic Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 07:27 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Fascinating product. I never knew it could be so versatile.

Old 05-18-2012, 04:26 AM
Deadanimal
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exile has been useing this clutch set up for years with his twist clutch and all the reviews I have found were pretty good, I was looking to use this but not for a while as It will be pricy to do all the mods at once to completely clean up the bars.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:25 AM
som69
Intermediate

I am running the EFM clutch in a Sportster and it works fine, going on three years. It is recommended to wire the bike so it will not start in gear, easy to do. My sporty is carburated and at the recommended idle 800 rpm it has stalled a few times if you stop at a light and leave it in gear. I usually take it out of gear and when I want to go just slip it in gear without the clutch and go. upshifts are very easy at normal shift points, not high rpm shifts. I usually use the clutch for downshifts, you can pull the clutch easily with one finger and it is smoother. I think the stalling problem would be eliminated with fuel injected bike. Overall I like the setup and am considering it for my softail.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:02 AM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its real pricey, $1145 for a new complete unit or $695 exchange.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:04 AM
Branner
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've seen Grandeur Cycles auto clutch at Daytona. The bike they had it on had an Evo motor (i.e. Rev'd LOWER) and it was pretty cool. It did all the stuff in the video you posted.

I was in your shoes and thought about buying this when I was initially thinking about a jockey shift. Mark talked me out of it. Thanks buddy. I googled auto clutch and also searched it out on YouTube. Keep in mind that along with the good, comes bad. There are a lot of horror stories about guys starting their bikes in gear and the bike taking off and crashing, or, even worse, crashing into things.

I'd recommend you do the foot clutch hand shift first. If you like it as is, you saved yourself a lot of cash. You can always add it later if you feel the need. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:35 AM
BrownSanta
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

interesting need to do some more research

Old 04-25-2013, 11:59 AM
vinni57
Stage II

Ive been running efm clutch for a few years as I had a stroke and needed a fix for dead leg and hand. works great on 94 evo softtail! I run a hand shift and rocker set up but cable drive footclutch was too touchy for me. Still use the rocker on the shovel as it has a lot more travel before engaugement The older evo clutch basket has to be sent to him for machine work but turnaround was less than a week

Old 05-17-2013, 10:50 AM
vinni57
Stage II

Ive been runnin the emf unit for a few years as I had a stroke 6 yrs ago and use a hand shift on a 94 soft tail. with the snap ring clutch basket machining( holes drilled for bolting the unit to the basket but the newer bolt together clutches as well as the early bolt together clutches are a drop in. Im still in the wind and lovin it!
Vinni

Old 05-17-2013, 06:59 PM
RDY2ROLL
Cruiser

Have it, love it. If your dumb enough to start it in gear with auto clutch then you will do it with a normal clutch so you would look stupid either way.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Sammy The Grinch
Stage I

In order for me to be able to ride again after my accident in '09, I had a Revloc Auto Clutch installed... Revloc's out of biz but I believe EFM is the OEM. I Love mine and haven't had any issues. Haven't had to do anything to it. I just raise a red flag when I take my scoot to the shop for maintenance, etc. My scoot is an '01 883 converted to a 1200 with a few performance bits and pieces added. I've been all through the Tail of the Gragon Region as well as The Kank Region in NH. I live in VT and there's plenty of twisty's and mountain roads... Git Some!

Grinch

Quick Reply: EFM Automatic Clutch?