Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE chrome back plate ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 07:40 AM
Papi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SE chrome back plate ?

What is the advantage of using the SE back plate with a K&N HD0800 versus the stock back plate with a OEM K&N HD1499?

Old 02-11-2011, 09:55 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 203 Posts

About 10 horsepower if I recall correctly... a higher-flow air cleaner is an integral part of a stage 1 upgrade. The SE backplate is higher flowing and will let the bike breath better, as will a number of other AC upgrades.

Roger

Old 02-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Syman02
Cruiser

I'm sure the HP is a plus, but my stock backing plate looked like crap to me. My bike is mostly black and chrome and the stock plate looked out of place. The chrome plate looks much better for the clean look I wanted.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:50 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting, is the SE plate shaped different to breath better? I have the k&n filter and am looking at a fat cat, so I may add this in if it makes a difference. Chrome would be good too. How much?

Old 02-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Papi
Cruiser

The reason I ask is because I bought a replacement oem k&n
Part number 1499. The SE uses a k&n hd0800, if it flows better
I'll sell the oem k&n and buy the SE back plate & k&n. If not
I'll keep the oem k&n and be done

Old 02-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was making my changes to stage one the first thing I did was Rush slip-ons. Didn't notice any change except a little popping on decell. Not a big problem. Then when my SE intake and PC-5 came in I did the intake first. Took the bike for a short ride and the popping was really increased, a sign of lean condition. Then I put the PC-5 in and the popping went away totally. Power increased a little and mpg when down about three or four. I know it's hard to look at the stock intake and see why it's not getting all the air it needs but there must be something there.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:02 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Okay, I think I got mixed up. I have the SE a/c and the plate that came with it, which does improve over the stock set up. I was thinking there might something different. I know they offer the Chrome version of the one I have.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:17 PM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 203 Posts

Yeah, that's the one Warg... they have it in regular finish, chrome and black. Definitely an improvement over stock, although it isn't the best if you're really looking to let it breath (big motor, big cams, etc.). For most it probably does just fine... it has served my needs since I put it on, and that was probably the first mod I made.

If someone is looking to do this, don't buy the kit - just buy the backplate and get the K&N filter element... that way you can choose the finish you want, and get the best filter. They had problems with the HD filter falling apart a few years ago - not sure if that has been fixed or not, as I switched to K&N and haven't looked back.

Roger

Last edited by tunaman; 02-11-2011 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Removed sig
Old 02-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Inspector 12
Road Master

I can give a better answer in a week or so when I get my 06 dyna back from getting the SE 120R installed. As part of the project, while tuning they will try both the SE and K&N backing plates and use the one that shows the best numbers. I will post up once I get the results.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:58 PM
colonelangus1
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tunaman
Yeah, that's the one Warg... they have it in regular finish, chrome and black. Definitely an improvement over stock, although it isn't the best if you're really looking to let it breath (big motor, big cams, etc.). For most it probably does just fine... it has served my needs since I put it on, and that was probably the first mod I made.

If someone is looking to do this, don't buy the kit - just buy the backplate and get the K&N filter element... that way you can choose the finish you want, and get the best filter. They had problems with the HD filter falling apart a few years ago - not sure if that has been fixed or not, as I switched to K&N and haven't looked back.

Roger
i agree dont cheap out or this might happen to you
i purchased the SE stage 1 kit and it was discounted didnt know why just thought kool cheaper.i found out why after it was installed paper element and a natural finish backing plate..so i powder coated it gloss black and through it in the oven ok so now it black but that filter sucks so i found a nib k&n for 20.00 at a garage sale ..long story short i cheaped out had to remove it paint it get new washable filter sure it was an 80.00o filter here for 20.00 but was i big hassle should have just purchased the black plate and k$n right off the bat

Quick Reply: SE chrome back plate ?