Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Harley, first ride, first thoughts.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:44 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,878 Likes on 4,670 Posts
Cool First Harley, first ride, first thoughts.

The call came in this afternoon. My bike was waiting for me finally! My sales person walked me into the back where my bike was waiting. We entered the dark workshop where it sat. As soon as my eyes fell on it, my heart fluttered and I got light headed. It sounds sad, but I've been waiting for this for longer than most know. Several years in fact.

I was handed the keys and I straddled the gorgeous machine. My heart pounding in my chest. I turned on the ignition and hit the starter. A split second later the engine roared to life and my ears were filled with a deep rumble, considering this was stock exhaust.

The weight was felt instantly when I lifted the bike off the side stand. Much heavier than the Bonneville I had weighing only 400 pounds. Once it got rolling however the weight dissipated and I was able to enjoy the steady rumble of the engine.

I left the parking lot and pulled onto the street. I rolled on the throttle careful not to over rev the motor. I was soon upon the first turn around and I was wobbly at best. I rolled on the throttle to continue my journey home and as luck would have it, traffic. I hit the brake and still I rolled towards the car in front of me. I almost panicked, then I came to a stop. I had put the first half mile on my new Cross Bones.

As the miles poured on the bike and I became more in-tuned with each other. My first thoughts were this is such a dog of a motorcycle. It didn't go, turn, or stop compared to anything I had ridden before. However, I was anything but unimpressed despite what some may call a “short coming.” As I rode down the streets I began to feel more at home with it. It seemed to stop better and it was very nimble for it's size and weight. The throttle was there when I really needed it, rolling on it sent me forward like a rocket when a guy in a car decided to change lanes while I was there. Later I caught a glimpse of myself in a plate glass mirror and it all hit me. I was riding a sprung Harley. After that I could wipe the grin off my face!

Now with over 70 miles I am in love. I know why they were called “bobbers” though. On the freeway all I seemed to do was bounce. But I loved the feeling and the sound. The bike itself feels very solid and well put together. The throttle is responsive and tight, with only a little flick of the wrist to pass a car. The brakes are good enough for the job at hand, but it certainly won't be taking home records at the track.

My overall thought was very simple however. I didn't know a motorcycle could be so awesome looking AND comfortable at the same time. I'm still not a fan of the bars, but they were more comfortable than anything I have had in the past. I see a long and fun filled future with my new Harley Davidson Cross Bones and I couldn't be happier!

Old 03-25-2011, 12:50 AM
Slopneck
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratz, my brother! I can feel the love!

Old 03-25-2011, 12:51 AM
Sgt Sportster
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

congratulations, and welcome to the club

Old 03-25-2011, 01:00 AM
Hawaii-Five-Jo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ahhh...the first ride, I remember mine........scared **** less...haha
Congrats man, the crossbones is a cool bike.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:04 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Congrats,now that story is what it's all about.The love of the ride and machine.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:15 AM
gforrest2
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the new ride. I got that same feeling when I laid eyes on my first Harley. It was an Ebay purchase and it took a month before I was able to fly in and pick it up. Probably had that same $hit eating grin when they fired it up and I heard that rumble.

Enjoy and ride safe.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:18 AM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice write up, it takes me back to that first ride too. Welcome.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:20 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,878 Likes on 4,670 Posts

Crap, I forgot! Here's a pic! It's all stock but she's mine!

Old 03-25-2011, 01:58 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by beasleyiv
Nice write up, it takes me back to that first ride too. Welcome.
+1!

Congrats, you finally got the bike! Now you can start to make it yours!

Old 03-25-2011, 02:09 AM
reycingef9
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice. Congrats. Just like you, this is my first Harley.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Harley, first ride, first thoughts.