Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXST or FXSTD?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 10:37 AM
Slash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 48 Posts
Default RE: FXST or FXSTD?

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

ORIGINAL: T 3
From the HD site:

Ultra Classic Electa Glide (running order)= 840 Lbs

Duece (running order)= 682 Lbs

Unless someone's really pushing it and riding to the edge of their abilities just to handle an FXST, they should be able to handle a somewhat heavier bagger easily enough.That said,it really depends on how much of each type of riding the original poster will be doing.The size/weight of a big bagger wouldn't bother me,they just aren't my thing.
My error, I was thinking of my Custom that's listed as 703lbs. in running order.
I mistakenly though it was the same as the Standard and Duce at 682lbs.
Something odd there as the Standard has wire wheels where the Duce and Custom both have bigger nearly solid aluminum rear wheels.
Until now I would not have thought the bigger seat, sissy bar, and mini apes, along with a smaller rear fender would make the Custom weigh no more than about 4 or 5 lbs. over the Duce, 21 lbs. seems like a lot.
To be that much heavier there has to be more difference than just the parts I listed, what am I missing?
Thats hard to say,HD's site shows a "Dry Weight" difference of only 9 Lbs between the Duece and the Custom.The Custom holds about a one tenth of a gallon more gas so slightly larger tank as well,but that still doesn't account for the difference in running order weights.My guess is HD's specs aren't accurate.

Back to the original question--- Even though touring bikes aren't my thing,if I intended to do a lot of long trips,I wouldn't let I wouldn't let the additional size and weight of a bagger bother me for around town riding.Baggers that bar hop are a really common sight around Northern Illinois / Southern Wisconsin.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:46 AM
richmac64
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

ORIGINAL: T 3
From the HD site:

Ultra Classic Electa Glide (running order)= 840 Lbs

Duece (running order)= 682 Lbs

Unless someone's really pushing it and riding to the edge of their abilities just to handle an FXST, they should be able to handle a somewhat heavier bagger easily enough.That said,it really depends on how much of each type of riding the original poster will be doing.The size/weight of a big bagger wouldn't bother me,they just aren't my thing.
My error, I was thinking of my Custom that's listed as 703lbs. in running order.
I mistakenly though it was the same as the Standard and Duce at 682lbs.
Something odd there as the Standard has wire wheels where the Duce and Custom both have bigger nearly solid aluminum rear wheels.
Until now I would not have thought the bigger seat, sissy bar, and mini apes, along with a smaller rear fender would make the Custom weigh no more than about 4 or 5 lbs. over the Duce, 21 lbs. seems like a lot.
To be that much heavier there has to be more difference than just the parts I listed, what am I missing?
The Softail Standard also has the cast aluminum wheel on the rear with a wire wheel on the front.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:14 PM
CNC WHEEL GUY
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Deuce all the way.

Can't beat the chrome, and the black engine IMO looks better. I had an '04 before I got me Streetglide. The two, FXST and the FXSTD will ride the same 2 up. The duece has a little more rake to the front than the FXST. If you add up al the chrome you need to buy to make the FXST near the deuce, you would spend way too much.

With that being said, My wife bought an '06 Springer (after I sold my deuce). She had a choice between a deuce and a Springer. We both leaned to the Springer because A) it had a 200 mm tire, B) '06 is the last year for the springer (except the SE springer), and I already owned a deuce and I thought the springer was cool to own.

I slammed my deuce by 2" in the rear, did wheels, thunderheader, PCIII, bars, lots more chrome, etc. I LOVED it to bomb around town. Got a lot of looks on it. Was fun to drive, and had a blast. I do miss that bike...

But my new SG is awesome for two up or even going around town. It's nice having the bags and the stereo.

My summary, do the Deuce!

Old 10-20-2006, 12:44 PM
smittyp83
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I upgraded from my 2000 Sporty 883 to a Softail Heritage FXSTI this past summer. I know exactly what you mean about the Sporty's riding position and tiring ride on long trips. I love riding my softail now! Most of my riding is around town - commuting to work, etc, with longer rides on the weekends (charity runs, etc). The bike is a very comfortable for me on the longer rides and with the counterbalanced engine, it's smooth as silk around town.

Mine came with a detachable passenger pillion, so I added a detachable sissy bar - my wife says she is very comfortable back there, but she hasn't gone on any long rides yet. She is definitely more comfortable that she was on the Sporty.

The riding position on the softail is so much different than on the Sporty, you have to ride it to understand. You sit much lower - more "into" the bike as opposed the higher, upright & forward position of the Sporty. I also have floorboards and pegs, so I can move my feet anywhere to find more comfort.

This bike was only made in 2006, but it is essentially a stripped down Heritage Classic - more of a mix between a Fatboy and the Classic. I know this isn't what you are looking at, but I'd thought I'd through my .02 anyway!!!

Name:  twoup.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  5.5 KB

Old 10-20-2006, 12:48 PM
Jezcruzen
Stellar HDF Member

Deuce!

Old 10-20-2006, 07:02 PM
blb
Novice

I purchased a Deuce this summer without checking this out. (The awesome look of the bike clouds your judgement!) I like to go on trips but want saddlebags to carry all of my stuff. I am having a very hard time finding something that is large enough to carry my stuff on trips while still looking good.

I still have not found saddlebags. Except for this one things, I love the Deuce. Rides great. Can't comment on two up though. My husband has his own bike.

Old 10-20-2006, 08:31 PM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess I'm the minority here.
The Deuce has a "like it or not" style to the tank and fender.
The rear fender and stretched and oblonged tank is not my "cup of Tea", so I would never consider one personally...
Also, the FXST is $2,500.00 cheaper, so the chrome on the Deuce doesn't come for free. You are paying handsomly for every piece.

I would buy the Standard and get the nice tank and bobbed fender, and start there.
Add a paint set like HD's Radical "Cut Throat", chrome the engine and you have a sweet ride.
If you like the black engine, go with the FXSTC, change out the bars and seat, toss out the sissy and you have another sweet Machine.

JMO. Different tastes are good because I would hate to see everybody ride the same thing!

Old 10-21-2006, 02:05 AM
pro1955
Road Captain

I would go with whatever you like the looks of, performance is pretty much a wash, I liked the look of the Deuce better overall so thats what I did.

Old 10-21-2006, 12:36 PM
FXSTI Guy
Banned

When I went in to buy I knew I'd be going with a softail and I had three models in mind...Fatboy, Deuce, and Standard. I liked the overall look of the Deuce but the stretched tank and half dome rear fender just weren't my style. The Fatboy I really liked but it looked and felt too "beach bar" bulky. The Standard...that's the ticket for me! It has that unmistakable look of a harley with the softail frame and wide glide/21" front tire not to mention the 200 rear tire looks TOUGH under the fatbob fender. I'm somewhat of a gearhead and I like to wrench on my rides and since buying my FXST I've dropped about $1,500 in upgrades altogether...installed BY me FOR me...the satisfaction I get from adding parts, upgrading the performance, and transforming this bike from bland stock to my personal sled is well worth the effort.

Old 10-22-2006, 10:30 AM
HeliRider
Cruiser

Thanks folks for all the responses. I was at the dealer Friday and Saturday and I’m still in a quandary over these bikes and to add to my dilemma I saw another bike that I really liked. Not sure if it’s a dilemma cause I will have a new bike and that will be awesome. The dealer did make a suggestion that got me thinking, why not keep my XL for bouncing around town, back and forth to work and buy something like a FLHX for two up riding and trips, got me thinking. Again thanks folks.

2006 XL1200R
V&H Slip-ons with “Quiet Baffles”
Sundowner Seat
Mini Back Rest
Chrome Sport Luggage Rack - Four Bar
Highway Pegs
Oil Dipstick with Temperature Gauge
KURYAKYN PREMIUM ISO-GRIPS
Enrichener / Choke **** Cover

Quick Reply: FXST or FXSTD?