Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXST or FXSTD?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 09:41 PM
HeliRider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXST or FXSTD?

Some questions I hope you softail folks can help me out with?

I took a few road trips this year and plan to do more trips next year; we had a blast on all the trips. However, a few issues arouse while riding on the highway. 1st the ride was very rough and tiring, probably because of the riding position of my XL. Also, my wife was not at all comfortable during these extended trips and did not care for how much we seemed to get blown around. To be honest it was a little unnerving at times. After our last trip she made it very clear that she probably would not be taking anymore road trips unless I upgraded my bike. I thought WOW, what an invitation to buy another bike. So I have been looking at these two bikes the 2007 FXST so I can upgrade the bike the way I want and the FXSTD because this bike just looks awesome. I would have liked to have test-driven each but never had the opportunity. I don’t want a touring bike because I do a lot of riding in town and don’t want to deal with a big cumbersome bike. Sorry for going on so, here are my questions.

1. How are these bikes for riding around in town, not sure about the 21’’ front tire?
2. Which of these bikes is better suited for two up riding, and how is the ride for both rider and passenger (highway cruising)?
3. Will I notice much of a performance gain over my 1200?

Thanks folks.

2006 XL1200R
V&H Slip-ons with “Quiet Baffles”
Sundowner Seat
Mini Back Rest
Chrome Sport Luggage Rack - Four Bar
Highway Pegs
Oil Dipstick with Temperature Gauge
KURYAKYN PREMIUM ISO-GRIPS
Enrichener / Choke **** Cover

Old 10-19-2006, 09:53 PM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: FXST or FXSTD?

I'm really liking my FXSTD Deuce.
If you're into chrome, the bike already comes with alot from the factory, plus the engine is powder coated black which makes the chrome look that much better. the FXST engine is silver.

It handles great around town and on the highway.
the 96ci engine will be a big improvement over your 1200.
I have an 88ci in my '06 and it's pleanty for me.

go to the dealer and sit on both, then you will decide which one fits better.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:13 PM
TazInCT
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my deuce! Rides great around town. I have spent much time and money setting it up for passenger comfort. And now my wife loves the ride as well. I started by upgrading the stock seat to a corbin Dual Tour with passenger backrest. The corbin seat is 6 inches wider at the passenger area than the stock. Then I added Fox Creek Leather saddlebags for storage. Added an autocom system so that we can talk and listen to music. Added Cobra passenger floorboards (she really likes them) for even more comfort.

We just took a mini-vacation to Niagara Falls (475 miles from home). Took 8 hours on a Sunday to get there. We stopped every 1.5 hours or so to stretch our legs. There, we spent 3 days sightseeing. Then 8 hours home on Thursday. Put on a total of 1100 miles in 5 days and no soreness from either of us.

As for the FXST, I have no idea.... I just thought I'd let you know how I like my Deuce.

Old 10-19-2006, 10:32 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

If your looking for something that can easily accomodate two up riding and "inexpensive" enough to make into your own. The Standard FXST would be hard to beat. I was going to get one, till the dealer told me that the FXSTC was coming out the next week. I waited, and I'm VERY happy I did. Its a bit more money, but you do get a really decent two up seat. Plus a lot of "extra" chrome, fancier wheels, and the black and chrome engine/tranny.
I would suggest that before you make any final decision, go to one or more dealers and just compare the two, side by side if possable. See if the FXST, FXSTD, or the FXSTC is closer to what your looking to eventually want. A Custom or the Duce might "need" less in the way of "personal" touches to make it into your bike than the Standard might.
For me the Custom had nearly everything that I had planned for a Standard, plus a couple of extras and was cheaper overall than doing many of those things to a Standard myself later.
I do ride on some longer trips with frineds but its mostly used for shorter around town riding and the bike has proven to be everything I ever wanted in a Harley. It just needs a better paint scheme and some better pipes to make it perfect.
[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 10-19-2006, 11:33 PM
Slash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 48 Posts

I really beat my brains in trying to decide which HD to purchase.At the end of the day,there's only one bike I like every bit as much as the one I purchased ('07 Nightrain ) and that would be the Duece.If I wasn't into the whole dark look of the Train,the Duece would be sitting in my garage right now and I'd be just as happy.

All that said,a common thread between both bikes (at least for me) is that there isn't a very much at all I would do to either bike to "make it my own" they both look too d@m good stock for me to want to do much although I see more possibilities to do a bit with the Duece without losing it's character,than the Train.

Now if I had a Softail Standard I'd modify the heck out of it starting with the tins and a dumptruck load of chrome.

The 21 inch tires are fine in town or on the highway,both the bikes you're considering are more substantial...no sensation of getting blown around the highway or feeling underpowered out there.

I like to travel light even on long trips,I don't like windshields and don't see myself ever owning a touring bike,just be sure a touring bike isn't what you might really need before laying out the cash...Touring bikes may not be as big and cumbersome as you think in comparision to the FXSTD.None of these 96 cubic inch powered bikes are petite...

Old 10-20-2006, 12:20 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

ORIGINAL: T 3
Touring bikes may not be as big and cumbersome as you think in comparision to the FXSTD.None of these 96 cubic inch powered bikes are petite...
Very true, I believe the lightest of the Softails is still over 700# with a full tank of gas. Not a flea weight bike by any stretch of the imagination. It can't hope to keep up with an XL at brakeing or in the twistys. But you won't be dissapointed with how well a bike thats as big and long as the FXST's can handle.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:23 AM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really beat my brains in trying to decide which HD to purchase.At the end of the day,there's only one bike I like every bit as much as the one I purchased ('07 Nightrain ) and that would be the Duece.If I wasn't into the whole dark look of the Train,the Duece would be sitting in my garage right now and I'd be just as happy.

All that said,a common thread between both bikes (at least for me) is that there isn't a very much at all I would do to either bike to "make it my own" they both look too d@m good stock for me to want to do much although I see more possibilities to do a bit with the Duece without losing it's character,than the Train.

The Night train is cool, but I'm not into black, so the Deuce was a great choice for me!

Old 10-20-2006, 02:19 AM
Slash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 48 Posts

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

Touring bikes may not be as big and cumbersome as you think in comparision to the FXSTD.None of these 96 cubic inch powered bikes are petite...
Very true, I believe the lightest of the Softails is still over 700# with a full tank of gas. Not a flea weight bike by any stretch of the imagination. It can't hope to keep up with an XL at brakeing or in the twistys. But you won't be dissapointed with how well a bike thats as big and long as the FXST's can handle.
From the HD site:

Ultra Classic Electa Glide (running order)= 840 Lbs

Duece (running order)= 682 Lbs

Unless someone's really pushing it and riding to the edge of their abilities just to handle an FXST, they should be able to handle a somewhat heavier bagger easily enough.That said,it really depends on how much of each type of riding the original poster will be doing.The size/weight of a big bagger wouldn't bother me,they just aren't my thing.

Old 10-20-2006, 08:32 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The're are no differences in frame and suspension between either bike.
Choose the look you want, add a seat and a handlebar that you like.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:07 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

From the HD site:

Ultra Classic Electa Glide (running order)= 840 Lbs

Duece (running order)= 682 Lbs

Unless someone's really pushing it and riding to the edge of their abilities just to handle an FXST, they should be able to handle a somewhat heavier bagger easily enough.That said,it really depends on how much of each type of riding the original poster will be doing.The size/weight of a big bagger wouldn't bother me,they just aren't my thing.
My error, I was thinking of my Custom that's listed as 703lbs. in running order.
I mistakenly though it was the same as the Standard and Duce at 682lbs.
Something odd there as the Standard has wire wheels where the Duce and Custom both have bigger nearly solid aluminum rear wheels.
Until now I would not have thought the bigger seat, sissy bar, and mini apes, along with a smaller rear fender would make the Custom weigh no more than about 4 or 5 lbs. over the Duce, 21 lbs. seems like a lot.
To be that much heavier there has to be more difference than just the parts I listed, what am I missing?

Quick Reply: FXST or FXSTD?