Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Speedometer/Tachometer Error Message

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 07:13 PM
JPL
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Speedometer/Tachometer Error Message

I keep on getting this error message. What could it be? The new gauge came with an extra wire which seemes like an adapter. I assumed my motorcycle didnt need it (09 Fatboy) because the gauge plug fit right in directly on the gauge. Let me know your thoughts....

For some reason it wont let me post pics (dont know if its cause I just posted a bunch but the error message reads:

When it is Off: NO CAL
When I turn it On: VIN ER

All help is appreciated!

Old 05-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Is this the one you first have to "marry" to the bike to update the mileage? Isn't that what the extra wire is for. Aren't you supposed to plug it in to the dataport under your seat first.

Should be in the instructions that came with it.

Might be wrong of course, but since no pic or description of which speedo/tach model you got ... have to make a guess.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:42 PM
JPL
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That does make sense... I tried uploading pic but it wont let me... Its the new one there was a thread abouty... with the small tachomenter and the bottom right in a little cirecle

Old 05-07-2011, 08:45 PM
rcmty
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Harley speedometer/Tac

I just install the same speedometer/tac on my 09 Heritage. You have to first use the small adapter wire that came with your speedometer and plug one end into the speedometer and the other end into the data link under your seat and turn the Ing swithch on and it will up date your speedometer with your mileage. when it reads complete then ok, unplug the speedometer from the data link and install it in your console. You should be ready to go!! mine works great..

Old 05-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,362 Likes on 2,617 Posts
Old 05-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Firemed509
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmty
I just install the same speedometer/tac on my 09 Heritage. You have to first use the small adapter wire that came with your speedometer and plug one end into the speedometer and the other end into the data link under your seat and turn the Ing swithch on and it will up date your speedometer with your mileage. when it reads complete then ok, unplug the speedometer from the data link and install it in your console. You should be ready to go!! mine works great..
Exactly what he said!

Old 05-08-2011, 08:50 AM
txfiremedic
Intermediate

^^^what they said^^^^ ....and make sure the "Run/Stop" switch is the RUN position during the link!! This one had me perplexed until i reread the instructions

Last edited by txfiremedic; 05-08-2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:19 PM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,878 Likes on 4,670 Posts

I guess it's different on the newer models. (2011) I have the same gauge and it was just plug and play. It set itself and works perfect. Btw its an awesome gauge, you'll love it.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I see someone didn't read the instructions........

Old 05-08-2011, 07:04 PM
knuckleheadz
Intermediate

That's what it is guys. The harness is included with the speedo/tach's meant for '08 to '10 softails, '09 and later Dyna's, and '08 and later Road King that is needed to pull the mileage and other cal's from the currently installed gauge. '11 Softail's have new electrical systems that allow you to just "plug and play" that RIPbiker13 mentions above.

Quick Reply: New Speedometer/Tachometer Error Message