Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Speedometer/Tachometer Error Message

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Bikergeek
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by knuckleheadz
That's what it is guys. The harness is included with the speedo/tach's meant for '08 to '10 softails, '09 and later Dyna's, and '08 and later Road King that is needed to pull the mileage and other cal's from the currently installed gauge. '11 Softail's have new electrical systems that allow you to just "plug and play" that RIPbiker13 mentions above.
I should be getting my new speedo/tach combo tomorrow for my '08 Heritage and I asked a local dealer about where the data comes from and he told me "the ECU dumps the data into the new speedo using the harness supplied with the new speedo/tach." Actually the data is pulled from the ECU and not from the OEM speedometer for the '08 to '10 softails. The datalink port comes right out of the ECU as per my wiring diagram.

Just follow the instruction carefully and everything will go smoothly.

Old 04-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This is an old post, but I just installed it myself. My problem was I took the old speedo/odo out then plugged the new one into the data cable. You need to have the old one plugged in at the tank AND the new one plugged into the data cable under the side panel near the left saddlebag. This was on an 09 road king. Nice kit though.

The following users liked this post:
throttlebandit (02-02-2017)
Old 04-06-2013, 06:01 PM
Beerskunk
Novice

Originally Posted by RIPbiker13
I guess it's different on the newer models. (2011) I have the same gauge and it was just plug and play. It set itself and works perfect. Btw its an awesome gauge, you'll love it.

Oh damn, I like that gauge, a lot easier to tell RPMs at a glance. I tend to drive more by RPM than speed, much to the local law's delight.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:21 PM
throttlebandit
Stage IV

discovered error of part after shop installed my speedo/tac they installed 70900070 part I was after was the 70900072A. When I called they said remove the one they installed and bring it in they'll give me the correct one install was up to me unless I wanted to pay again. So I took in the old came home with the new and followed the instructions for data copying. I got an error msg of "no spd" that code is not in the troubleshooting table that came with the speedo. I called the shop said I think I need the speedo I brought in they said the info was in the bike memory other speedo not needed. I'm thinking it is. My bike is an 06 Heritage Softail. Someone posted you needed the old speedo still in bike however they were referring to a different year so just double checking. Any guidance appreciated.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:30 PM
Pat Hamer
Intermediate
Default no spd code in the manual for combo speedometer

Did you ever figure it out with "no spd"? My speedometer shorted out washing the bike. I've checked all the fuses, i think, and all is good, Instrument fuse, etc. I left the old speedo in, did the data link, put the Run button on. did the ACC switch, but my odometer is dead, so who knows, did it anyways, Turned off the switch plugged the new speedo into the data link, a red light came on, and then I get "no cal" and then it hops to "no spd." I'm thinking I got no power to the old speedo. It still probably works. Any body have a solution?

Old 08-23-2019, 08:54 AM
Pat Hamer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Clubber
This is an old post, but I just installed it myself. My problem was I took the old speedo/odo out then plugged the new one into the data cable. You need to have the old one plugged in at the tank AND the new one plugged into the data cable under the side panel near the left saddlebag. This was on an 09 road king. Nice kit though.
Weird thing, I have an 05 road king, and speedo shorted out after washing it. I bought this same tach, but the model # ends with B instead of A. Same thing except for there is no KPH on MPH. I followed the install and data link to a T, and when I would ignition I'd get a NO CAL in the LCD, and then that would go away, and it was replaced with NO SPD. It would not transfer the odometer to the new odometer. I'm thinking that if your speedo stopped working, replacing it with this type of Speedo will not work due to the inability to transfer odometer reading of a broken speedo to the new speedometer. I can't find anyone with an answer to this.

I thought this might be an issue, as the old speedo was as if it wasn't there because IT WAS BROKEN (insert Sam Kinison Tirade). Our shop service guy in Folsom checked with the mechanic, and "it's okay, just follow the directions." Engine switch on, Data Link plugged in, no go! I had the old speedo out, and was tapping it and banging it slightly, and I saw LED partially show numbers, they would immediately dim if I stopped squeezing the old gauge. Thinking the ecm possibly sensed the old speedo after doing the Fonz bang and tap on the old speedo, which seemed to allow some juice into it, so I did the transfer procedure again, and something did change this time as it just went to NO CAL, without going to NO SPD.

I'm assuming NO SPD means it isn't sensing a speedo. Well It stopped that, and the NO CAL shows. There is a red light blinking, but then after a bit the red light goes solid and stays on. But still it did not do the conversion. The trouble shooting guide for this particular NO CAL says, normal function, but ads as long as "percentage and ok" show, which they don't. I went ahead and plugged the new speedo into the consul to see if something happened, and the new speedo lit up beautifully, but with NO CAL or something I forget. But no odometer transfer. I'm wondering if I should ride it and go through that 31 mph countdown the document spells out.

I'm going back down to get a speed sensor. Apparently, it could be that issue if the signal lights don't cancel, for one sign. With the bike just leaning on the stand, it doesn't cancel. Somebody said I had to at least lean it or move the steering for it to cancel, which I haven't done. So, I'll check for cancellation leaning and turning the bike. With all the forums out there only about 4 of these issues are on the net, and none of those who had the problem explained how they solved it. These speedo combo's don't work if your replacing a broken one. They should explain this, as there is no refund for them. They seem to only work if you are upgrading. I need to get the odometer reading back, as I'm selling. Any ideas?