Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 07:10 AM
stoneman
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carb

Been thinking about a new carb, what is some opinions on the best carb to run on the twin cam?

Old 05-14-2011, 07:27 AM
bigtwin88-66
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest the S&S E, that's what i run and it's been great. Easy to tune and works great with the motor.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:27 AM
Wild Grover
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock CV jetted for your application. Simple.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:42 AM
NightTrainRob
Tourer

CV sucks....Mikuni...I put a 42mm on my bike and was the best it had ever ran..no more issues

But now I run a 45mm Mikuni

Old 05-14-2011, 12:37 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll second the Mukuni 42... It'll feel like a whole new bike, you'll be surprised when you see how much power you'll gain!

Old 05-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Stage 1, stay with the CV, even a stage 2 won't gain much going to the slightly larger Mikuni and it's harder to tune so most people actually loose a little cause they never get it 100%.

Only thing wrong with the CV is the people tinkering with it. Seen this senerio numerous times, guy gets new pipes and aircleaner so the carb needs jetting. While he's at it why not do a dynojet kit, drill the slide, different spring, one of those easy adjust idle screws, don't forget the chrome cap..LOL So, by the time he is done fooling with needle hights, numerous jet changes and whatever, it's close to running alright so he leaves it. Then, next season when the wallet is full again he gets an S&S or Mikumi installed and it runs better. Not really because they are a much better carb but because his CV is butchered. All he really had too do was go to a 45 lowspeed, a 883 sportster needle and maybe go up 5-10 on the high speed.

Go find a shop that has a good dyno man that has been doing it since the EVO days-(experienced)-he'll be able to give you the staight skinny.

D

Old 05-14-2011, 08:08 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug S
Stage 1, stay with the CV, even a stage 2 won't gain much going to the slightly larger Mikuni and it's harder to tune so most people actually loose a little cause they never get it 100%.

Only thing wrong with the CV is the people tinkering with it. Seen this senerio numerous times, guy gets new pipes and aircleaner so the carb needs jetting. While he's at it why not do a dynojet kit, drill the slide, different spring, one of those easy adjust idle screws, don't forget the chrome cap..LOL So, by the time he is done fooling with needle hights, numerous jet changes and whatever, it's close to running alright so he leaves it. Then, next season when the wallet is full again he gets an S&S or Mikumi installed and it runs better. Not really because they are a much better carb but because his CV is butchered. All he really had too do was go to a 45 lowspeed, a 883 sportster needle and maybe go up 5-10 on the high speed.

Go find a shop that has a good dyno man that has been doing it since the EVO days-(experienced)-he'll be able to give you the staight skinny.

D

Doug are you running a Mikuni, have you run one? Theres a huge difference from my jetted CV and my 42 Mikuni... As soon as I put the Mikuni on it was amazing how much the motor came alive. To me it was night and day!

Old 05-14-2011, 08:31 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

i have an s&s, i hear good things about the mikuni,they may have the edge

Old 05-14-2011, 08:51 PM
NightTrainRob
Tourer

I know of several people.... even dealer mechanics say a mikuni is better than the cv.. Oh and no more hick-ups with a mikuni

Old 05-15-2011, 07:20 AM
roadkingharry
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Anyone ever do a before and after dyno run when you switched from a cv to a mikuni? I'd have to see the numbers before spending $320 on a mikuni.

Quick Reply: Carb