Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is the maxi fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:34 PM
EXAMMO
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the maxi fuse?

I have a service manual, but can't find any reference to the maxi fuse. I have done numerous searches and have come up with nothing. Is the fuse on of the relays in my fuse box? I do not have a black zippo sized box coming off of the positive terminal with a huge fuse in it. I am confused! I am trying to fix the issue with the distance to empty on the new thundermax software. The first step says to remove the maxi fuse. I cant find one! Any help would be appreciated. Pictures would be awesome!

Old 06-10-2011, 11:47 PM
potatowire
4th Gear

Well, until I read your mention of the fuse coming off the positive terminal, I thought the main circuit breaker was the same as the maxi breaker, because I couldn't find anything in the '06 Softail Service Manual either. I can't believe I didn't catch that! Hopefully I didn't screw up my TSSM...

Old 06-11-2011, 12:35 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

It's in appendix B of the 2007 shop manual... If at same location should be on the side of the battery.

here is a pic from the 2007 manual. I hope it's in the same location on the 2006.

on my 2009 it slides in on the left side of the fuse box cover.

If you can't find the fuse, just disconnect the battery. Same result.

Attached Thumbnails Where is the maxi fuse?-maxifuse.jpg  

Last edited by Rakthi; 06-11-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:14 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

Whatever you do, don't look for it under the "maxi-pad."

Old 06-11-2011, 08:20 AM
EXAMMO
Tourer

I do not have the fuse that you have pictured. The only wire coming off of my posi terminal is the hot wire that go's straight down. I don't have a pigtail like what is pictured there. I dont think i can just disconnect the battery to do this procedure. I think it still needs juice. I will attach the steps i am trying to do.

Turn ON both the RUN (rocker) switch and the MAIN KEY switch (ignition switch)
to begin.
1. Pull the “MAIN” Maxi fuse.
2. Temporarily disconnect the TMax module from the main harness connector.
3. Connect the Stock ECM.
4. Hold the “trip” button down while re-installing the main fuse.
5. Speedometer should light up and appear as though it is locked up.
6. Release the “trip” button and turn the main key switch “OFF “.
7. Turn the main key switch on then, using the trip button, verify “R LO” is displayed
in the odometer window when cycling through the options.
8. Turn ONLY the main key / ignition switch “OFF”.
9. Remove the ECM fuse, re-connect the TMax module and replace the ECM fuse.
DO NOT PULL THE MAIN FUSE FOR THIS PROCESS.
10. Turn the main key switch on. If “R LO” does not appear repeat the process.
11. Re-initialize the ECM by cycling the main key switch on 30 seconds / off 30
seconds, 3 times.
12. Range should start working in roughly 50 miles; you will need to use a tank of
fuel to normalize reading.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:58 AM
fdb2007
Road Master

don't know if this helps, but I looked in an 04 Dyna book and the maxi fuse is in the fuse box as opposed to the remote locations on the 07 and later boxes

Old 06-11-2011, 12:41 PM
EXAMMO
Tourer

I opened the fuse box and dont see anything bigger than 15amps other than the two relays in there. Is the maxi fuse one of the relays?

Old 06-11-2011, 12:56 PM
fdb2007
Road Master

nope, should be a 40 amp fuse lurking somewhere. I have 4 different owner's manuals, 01 Dyna doesn't mention one, 04 Dyna in the previous post, 07 touring down by the battery as well as 10 softail. sorry man

Old 06-13-2011, 10:54 PM
potatowire
4th Gear

Hey, so, I think I might have been right before, but I'm hoping someone with more experience can verify this. The Zippo-sized fuse I thought was my maxi fuse was a battery tender my dad must have installed for me when he stored the bike while I was on deployment (and never mentioned).

Will that out of the way, everything else I read indicated that a bike has either a main circuit breaker or a maxi fuse (with the maxi fuse being the more modern and better choice). Since the '06 Service Manual definitely references the Main Circuit breaker, I think that's what we '06 Softail owners have. If so, it will be a pain in the butt to pull it per the directions you posted, because it is harder to pop out than a fuse.

Anyway, I hope the experts can confirm or reject this.

-Brandon

Old 06-13-2011, 11:36 PM
EXAMMO
Tourer

Thanks for the post Brandon. I went to my local dealer on Saturday and asked them to help me find it. After about 20 mins, they came to the conclusion that the '06 doesn't have a maxi-fuse. This was all for nothing anyway. The softare issue with the Thundermax is for distance to empty on the bikes that have that feature. I misread it as meaning my fuel gauge would be incorrect. Oh well, I have become very familiar with the electrical section of my service manual now!

Quick Reply: Where is the maxi fuse?