Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Operation Fat-Train has begun!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 11:45 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It was totally because I used a rear wheel. I tend to enjoy making more work for myself! Why do it the easy way when there is always more difficult ways to get the same result?! LOL

I just wanted the wheels to match, and also throw a bit o custom flavor on it. Haven't heard of anyone running a rear wheel up front. Your made-for-the-front front wheel should bolt right up. Only issue I could imagine is maybe spacers, but that's an easy fix. 3/4" PVC pipe is easy to cut to mock up the spacers, then just take the PVC to a machine shop and have them make spacers the same length.

You're swapping the forks so this might be a moot point. The front wheel on the 05 Train is offset to the right slightly. Look closely at your stock fender mounting points, and you'll notice the one on the left fork protrudes further from the forks to center the fender on the tire.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:49 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Check out the "salvaged nightrain retro build" in the search bar. Best looking nightrain to fatboy I've ever seen. I'm sure he has some wisdom to share!

Old 07-25-2011, 12:43 PM
socal yankee
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jreichart
It was totally because I used a rear wheel. I tend to enjoy making more work for myself! Why do it the easy way when there is always more difficult ways to get the same result?! LOL

I just wanted the wheels to match, and also throw a bit o custom flavor on it. Haven't heard of anyone running a rear wheel up front. Your made-for-the-front front wheel should bolt right up. Only issue I could imagine is maybe spacers, but that's an easy fix. 3/4" PVC pipe is easy to cut to mock up the spacers, then just take the PVC to a machine shop and have them make spacers the same length.

You're swapping the forks so this might be a moot point. The front wheel on the 05 Train is offset to the right slightly. Look closely at your stock fender mounting points, and you'll notice the one on the left fork protrudes further from the forks to center the fender on the tire.

Thats my fatty with a rear up front so i guess thats 2 of us. Actually I just replaced the front (rear) with an actual front (front) to get better turns in the twisties... So I guess you're back down to 1 of you..

Good luck CaptRon. Cant wait to see pics!!!

Old 07-25-2011, 02:04 PM
HDUK
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by captainron62
I have decided to put a blacked out Fatboy front end on my 2005 Train. I have today purchased the upper blk cover and the blk lowers along with the cowbells. I also picked out a wheel thru Harley and will order it tuesday along with the tire. I also have to purchase the fork springs and the rest of the odds and ends.

If anyon has any advice that has done this sort of thing it will be appreciated. I will post pics when the actual swap begins.

I am cant wait to ride the train with the Fat front end and the extra stability it will provide.
I saw one of these done a couple of years ago at my local stealer they were selling a secondhand one blacked out beauty with spoke wheels that had been lowered front and back. dude your going to have an awesome bike when you finish it

Old 07-25-2011, 05:25 PM
cryan9
Road Captain

Originally Posted by captainron62
I have decided to put a blacked out Fatboy front end on my 2005 Train. I have today purchased the upper blk cover and the blk lowers along with the cowbells. I also picked out a wheel thru Harley and will order it tuesday along with the tire. I also have to purchase the fork springs and the rest of the odds and ends.

If anyon has any advice that has done this sort of thing it will be appreciated. I will post pics when the actual swap begins.

I am cant wait to ride the train with the Fat front end and the extra stability it will provide.
I have thought of doing the same. Will those upper covers and nacelle go on the stock triple trees?

Old 07-26-2011, 12:12 AM
captainron62
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cryan9
I have thought of doing the same. Will those upper covers and nacelle go on the stock triple trees?

I dont know, I have not researched that particular set up. I am gettin rid of my fork legs because I want to reduce the rake. I have read a bit about the issue that there is nowhere to bolt the upper covers with the stock legs. Not sure if that is true or not.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:46 PM
cryan9
Road Captain

I'm pretty sure that you will have to change out the triple trees to get the nacelle, headlight, fork legs, and cowbells to fit on there.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:16 PM
captainron62
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cryan9
I'm pretty sure that you will have to change out the triple trees to get the nacelle, headlight, fork legs, and cowbells to fit on there.

Yup, they are different.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Panky
Advanced

All I did was put the fatboy 16 inch on the front. game over. ride great in dry and wet no issues. I am going to replace the 16inch wheel with a 17inch once I run this tire into the ground

Attached Thumbnails Operation Fat-Train has begun!-neah-bay-008.jpg  
Old 07-31-2011, 10:10 PM
tail11
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just put a 16 inch wheel on wide glide front end FXST

I would love to put a FL fork on my bike, but just settled with the 16 inch tire on the wide glide forks. Here's a picture when me and the dog went to the Grand Canyon.

Attached Thumbnails Operation Fat-Train has begun!-66-bike.jpg  

Quick Reply: Operation Fat-Train has begun!