Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tool Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Mark757
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tool Kit?

I just bought my first Harley-a 2008 Softail Night Train- and am wondering what specific tools I should have aboard for my particular bike. I have plenty of tools and I'd rather throw together some of my extras than shell out dough for a kit from the dealer, etc. Any particular tools/sizes I should make sure to have with me?
Thanx!

Old 09-25-2011, 01:49 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

That question has crossed my mind and I think its proprietary to the bike you ride; for example I do have a small kit in my side bag for aftermarket add-ons like my pegs that have been known to get loose (almost lost on of the expensive pegs before!). My Iso-grips need a real small allen wrench, a leatherman tool for the oh **** factor, that kind of stuff. I've looked at the available pre-packaged tool kits available for purchase but some items I have no need for reinforcing that it's proprietary to your specific bike. Some have posted the only thing you need is a credit card and a cellphone. That makes perfect sense to me and definitely carry that, so you should probably start there.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:51 PM
Josewales
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am about to look for a good impact torque wrench...lock-tite and torx screws make a bad stripper.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Martimus
Tourer

I keep a small tool kit in my saddlebag which I've adjusted to contain the tools that I think are useful to a mechanical hack like me...

Old 09-25-2011, 09:02 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

10mm wrench for battery connections. I can do a service on my bike with the tools I carry. If you've got a tool collection then you might want to just start gathering the tools needed for tightening things that might loosen on the road. Do you want to be able to remove a wheel that went flat. Gather those tools and so on. Martimus has nice kit to start with. I added a couple tire irons in soft holders after my son blew out his front tube and we ended up changing it with a crescent wrench and screwdriver.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:11 PM
OKSpringer
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Martimus
Is that a kit you bought, or one you put together? Either way I like it.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:17 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The most important item to carry is a tire repair kit and a method to re-inflate the tires. After that, set of Combo wrenches, Allen and Tork wrenches, Screw Drivers, Duct Tape, and Fuses. Don't forget your cell phone.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:22 PM
Martimus
Tourer

Originally Posted by OKSpringer
Is that a kit you bought, or one you put together? Either way I like it.
That picture is from a Cruz tools kit! I got the basic kit as a gift last year and have been slowly modifying it to contain tools that seem more useful to me...

I kind of wish the woman had gotten me two smaller kits so I could balance out the weight across both saddle bags. Oh well... maybe next year she'll forget and get me another!

Old 09-26-2011, 12:41 AM
gforrest2
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Martimus
I keep a small tool kit in my saddlebag which I've adjusted to contain the tools that I think are useful to a mechanical hack like me...

I've got this same kit. They're kind of expensive, but they appear to be high quality tools (I say appear because I've been fortunate enough not to need to use them) Also, Cruztools was nice enough to sell me a tear drop pouch so that I could fit the kit into my tear drop case, although it's a very tight fit.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:02 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

In each of the following categories bring only what is used on your bike.
* Metric Allen Wrench Set
* US Allen Wrench Set
* Torx Wrench Set
* 1/4" Drive Ratchet, 6" Extension, and Socket set
* Combination (Box & Open End) wrenches (Use short versions) US and Metric
* Phillips Head Screw Driver
* Straight Blade Screw Driver
* Harley-Davidson Axle Nut Wrench
* Small Vice Grips (The real ones not knock offs)
* A Dental Pick
* 2 feet of Duct Tape wrapped on an old pencil stub
* Two 12" Jumper Wires
* Lots of 12" Zip Ties
* Tire Pressure Gauge
* Credit Card
* Cell Phone

With the exception of the last two items, all of this fits in the Tear Drop shaped Harley Tool Box that is fastened to the bike which you can see in my signature right behind the oil tank and in front of the saddlebag.

On a really long cross country trip I also carry a USB Flash Drive with copies of the wiring diagrams that I scanned from the Harley-Davidson Service manual that I bought from my Harley-Davidson Dealer . . . and no you can't have my copies . . . you need to get your own.

Quick Reply: Tool Kit?