Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suspension ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 07:48 PM
MAX EVO
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default suspension ??

If you were to lower a Train is it worth to get the Progressive 422's or just get the H-D rear lowering kit? Is it recommened to lower the front as well with the Progressive lowering fork springs?Sorry I know I am posting on both the BoB and the Train.I am just trying to decide what would be best suited for me and get as much info as possible on both.This forum as been extremly helpfull thx

Old 11-26-2006, 07:53 PM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: suspension ??

I used the lowering kit, It didn't make sence to me to buy new shocks when mine were new to begin with. I don't know about the front, kept mine stock.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:18 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with a Progressive brand lowering kit on the OEM shocks.. Just due to budget.. money no object, I would have gone with the 422's.. looks like a great shock. Drag also has a version of what appears to be a 413 shock under their brand name, but made by Progressive. 422 is supposed to be a great shock though.. basically two standard shocks from the airtail setup, I think it's called.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:37 PM
MAX EVO
Road Captain

Babs how do you like the Pro lowering kit ?Does it bottom out?Does it ride nice?

Old 11-27-2006, 03:10 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No bottoming that I've been able to tell.. rides great.

I have the preload set maybe a tad tighter than stock and only 1-up riding and 1" lower.. I'll probably tweak it a little lower, maybe 1/2 inch more, just because I can. hehehe No dragging also.. rides nice. I lowered the seat height enough to have the new mustang seat about the same height as the lepera solo it replaced, but far more comfortable. The seat alone gave it a much cooshier ride so I can't really say the actual ride is harder or not, as I did the seat at the same time. So to me, ride comfort is actually much better, though lowered. Actual suspension now though might be stiffer.. I sure can't tell it. Happy camper here.

About any of the lowering kits would work the same with OEM's I think.. The Progressives are the ones I've seen that include their bushings instead of reusing the stocks.. Look like pretty doggone good quality. Probably the same part they put on their shocks.

Old 12-07-2006, 06:47 AM
bamclean
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatever you do, don't waste your money on the HD lowering kit. It's no different than any of the aftermarket kits and cost 4 times as much. I've bought several kits thru Jireh for around $20 and they work fine.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:28 AM
chester1957
Road Warrior

I lowered the back 1 1/4" with a kit bought on ebay, around twenty dollars. Did not affect handling. Looks good. If you lower the front you have to lower the rear, but not vice versa. A word on cheap kits. Mine was packaged by Midwest motorcycle supply, but was made in Taiwan.
The first thing I noticed was the nuts that came with the kit didn't seem to fit the threads of the lowering bolts worth a crap. (Way too loose) This also applied to the stock flange nuts that were to be reused. The threads that mounted them to the shock, preload adjuster and jam nut seemed to be fine. I couldn't turn the stock flange nuts with my fingers, because they have nylon inserts, so I used them. I went to the hardware store and bought a couple of metric nuts that fit the threads a little better, and Loctited the p*ss outa them. So far nothing has loosened up.
Just my 2cents on cheap kits.

Old 12-07-2006, 03:57 PM
strange1
Tourer

I lowered the rear of my ride using an Arlen Ness kit, around $40.00. I love the looks but i gave up my ride when i lowered it as low as i did. But all i go for is looks.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:38 PM
chester1957
Road Warrior

Any opinion of the thread quality of the Ness kit?

Old 12-08-2006, 12:34 AM
reh13
Road Master

I believe you should get the progressive shocks.

Quick Reply: suspension ??