Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fatboy 7" headlight upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 12:48 PM
wildrooster
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pluss one on that

Old 01-18-2012, 01:37 PM
oldbie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,688 Likes on 756 Posts

Is it blinding to oncoming drivers?

Old 01-18-2012, 04:54 PM
fatusboyus
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks man, i appreciate your insight and first hand knowledge

what year bike did you put this on? i wander if its a "plug and play" kind of thing on my bike?

Originally Posted by 8balla
I follow your thinking on the price of the LED, however i can share with anyone interested in listening that this is hands down the best 500 bucks i have spent on my bike. I can be seen, no exceptions. At night i can see forever, and during the day street signs light up like a lamp when my light hits them. My wife was even concerned when i told her what i wanted to spend on a headlamp and within hours she was thanking me constantly for doing so, she can't believe the difference.

A buddy i ride with thought i was nuts, lots of money out of my 103 fund, however we made a 60 mile ride one saturday morning as I followed him down the 2 lanes, and he was blown away by how my headlamp illuminated road signs from behind the group. He has one now and feels the cost is totally justified.

I know it's lots of guido, but it helps me be seen day and night, i can see way better at night, and that makes me feel way safer riding. I for one am totally glad i spent the cash on this headlamp.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:41 PM
dcgray2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fatusboyus
thanks man, i appreciate your insight and first hand knowledge

what year bike did you put this on? i wander if its a "plug and play" kind of thing on my bike?
Both the Kuryakin (cheaper but rated best by one reviewer - HD was rated best by the other) and Harley LEDs will fir your bike according to the info I looked at.

I will third the others. Night and Day difference. I had trouble seeing at night before and the LED headlight is phenomenal.

Easy installation, remove trim ring, remove headlight, plug in new headlight, screw down, re-install trim ring. 10 minutes if you take your time and read the instructions twice.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:20 AM
Joker_Hal
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are some images I've copied from the Kuryakin and Harley Sites. They show a comparison of stock head lights verse their LED types.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10280...25044107145153

It may cost more, but after looking at these, I'm going with the HD version.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:23 AM
turd fergussen
Tourer

just a question... is the led less visible during daytime driving though?

Old 01-20-2012, 06:57 AM
wildrooster
Tourer

Its bright all the time

Old 01-20-2012, 10:14 AM
8balla
Intermediate

Installation is super easy, mounts like the stock one, and simply plug it in.

As for the blinding during the day, i've had no complaints from people I have followed or shined onto, so i would say it is a very subtle bright, easy on the eyes. This is a very white light so the clarity is unmatched.

I looked and studied the Kury light, and the HD light, i even went as far as to discover the manufacturers of each light and compare on the most basic level. The Kury light is about 2/3 the cost of the HD lamp, however in my opinion it is about 2/3 the light also. When i compared i noticed the HD light shown further down the road, and much wider to the side of the road. I noticed a clearer white image to discern what i see down the road better. And perhaps the most noticeable difference was what I called the "hotspot" issue. Basically with the HD LED it lights up from about 4 feet in front of the bike to as far as you can see totally and evenly, it all looks the same. With the Kury light i noticed "hotspots" at about 20 feet in front of the bike where the LED concentrated and then faded lighting all around it. It was better than stock, however the extra $150-$200 bucks for the HD cured all my ills.

The bike i installed on is a 2010 Fatboy Lo, so naturally i went with the Black LED lamp and this thing hits the spot on that ride.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:28 AM
cmosentine
Tourer

You can get the 7-inch LED from Hales HD online for $395.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:36 PM
turd fergussen
Tourer

Originally Posted by wildrooster
Its bright all the time
thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: fatboy 7" headlight upgrade?