Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rake, Extended Fork Question on Heritage

Old 01-31-2012, 02:43 PM
got9seconds
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rake, Extended Fork Question on Heritage

I have asked this question in the Tech section, and I am hoping to get an answer from this section or the other!

Sorry for this ignorant question, but I am confused!

I am getting ready to put on a HHI 4* triple tree which has 2" extension plugs allowing the use of the stock fork tubes. I have read on this forum of others doing this and also using additional 2" over tubes, then they use a front lowering kit to bring the bike back to level.

Why are they doing this combination of extended tubes and lowering kit, rather than just staying with the stock tubes that HHI says will bring the bike back to level with their 2" extension plugs?

Any enlightenment would be appreciated!!

Old 02-01-2012, 07:01 AM
got9seconds
Advanced

Is there no one that can answer this question for me? Between the tech forum and this forum there are over a hundred views, with no replies!

This is a question I really want help with before the front assembly goes together.

HELP!

Old 02-01-2012, 08:45 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 484 Likes on 352 Posts

I think what has people not answering is the extension plugs. We used to call them slugs and they are probably the worst way on earth to extend fork tubes. My guess is rather than come out all negative, they just didn't answer. I suspect the reason you hear people using longer fork tubes and lowering them, verses using the plugs is because a seam in a fork tube is a failure just waiting to happen. I know the metric guys DO IT, as I saw the same kit for my wifes V-Star, but most Harley guys are gonna tell you that fork tube extensions are a bad way to extend tubes versus simply using longer tubes. Just my two cents.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:27 AM
got9seconds
Advanced

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
I think what has people not answering is the extension plugs. We used to call them slugs and they are probably the worst way on earth to extend fork tubes. My guess is rather than come out all negative, they just didn't answer. I suspect the reason you hear people using longer fork tubes and lowering them, verses using the plugs is because a seam in a fork tube is a failure just waiting to happen. I know the metric guys DO IT, as I saw the same kit for my wifes V-Star, but most Harley guys are gonna tell you that fork tube extensions are a bad way to extend tubes versus simply using longer tubes. Just my two cents.

I appreciate that answer, it makes too much sense. My mechanic said something similar, but he also notice that on the HHI triple tree, the slugs are a billet one piece unit that the forks screw to, and thought they would be fine.

I appreciate the response on this.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:38 AM
Fireman1501
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to run a 23" wheel with the trees I would recommend using -2" forks to keep the bike level.. If you just reuse the stock forks you will have that nose up look..

Old 02-01-2012, 09:48 AM
hdgzr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,869 Likes on 595 Posts

As mentioned, I believe the thought is the one-piece tube is stronger than the tube+extension. Here's a link showing the installation of 2" extensions...

http://www.650ccnd.com/mods/Installi...Extensions.pdf

Old 02-01-2012, 01:24 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 812 Likes on 798 Posts

What seems a simple question to U is really not..

I am thinking maybe 1 in 100,000 Heritage owners even think of changing the rake let alone those who do, which would be even less.

Plus now-a-days U try to keep that lowered look; Back in the early 70 when I put 6 over tubes on my bike I didn't change the rake,, that was fun,, put a chick on the rear and I could do a wheelie even in 3rd gear, but it was still stable at 100 mph..

U need to talk to a custom builder or someone who builds Custom frames to really give U a decent answer as to how and what to do when messing with the dynamics of a stock frame and still keep Ur bike safe to ride, Which most riders today has no Idea of what to do and how to do it.

So the average person has no Idea on how to do it and U really need Professional help to give U an answer that correct and safe.

Thats why Ur not getting many answers to Ur Question...

Old 02-02-2012, 11:59 AM
got9seconds
Advanced

Thank you to ALL for helping to answer my question. I finally call Hawg Halters on this topic of why when people buy their product, why they add 2" tubes when the 4* tree already has 2" extensions built in, and then use lowering springs.

Their answer was that there was NO logical reason for it, as the geometry doesn't change once lowered back down. HHI states that with their product, using the stock tubes will bring the bike back to level and will handle extremely well, and suggest NOT adding any more tube length.

I am attaching a picture of a Fatboy that is setup the way that I am doing my Heritage, when it comes to the front forks.

Attached Thumbnails Rake, Extended Fork Question on Heritage-fatboy-hhi-with-2-inch-over-tubes.jpg  
Old 03-06-2012, 11:44 AM
got9seconds
Advanced
Default The Heritage is getting raked as we speak!

Originally Posted by oct1949

I am thinking maybe 1 in 100,000 Heritage owners even think of changing the rake let alone those who do, which would be even less.

Plus now-a-days U try to keep that lowered look; Back in the early 70 when I put 6 over tubes on my bike I didn't change the rake,, that was fun,, put a chick on the rear and I could do a wheelie even in 3rd gear, but it was still stable at 100 mph..

U need to talk to a custom builder or someone who builds Custom frames to really give U a decent answer as to how and what to do when messing with the dynamics of a stock frame and still keep Ur bike safe to ride, Which most riders today has no Idea of what to do and how to do it.

So the average person has no Idea on how to do it and U really need Professional help to give U an answer that correct and safe.

Thanks all for the help on this past question. My Heritage is in the shop as I type this, getting an HHI 4 degree raked triple tree installed with 2" extensions and chrome lower sliders. As soon as I get it back, I am going to slam the front fender as well. I'll post up the pics at that point.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:30 AM
got9seconds
Advanced

Originally Posted by oct1949

Well I guess I am that 1 in 100,000!!!! Here are some pictures of my 2010 Heritage with the front end raked 4 degrees and 2" over in length. I have also slammed the front fender 2" as well!

Attached Thumbnails Rake, Extended Fork Question on Heritage-raked-4-degrees-001.jpg   Rake, Extended Fork Question on Heritage-raked-4-degrees-002.jpg   Rake, Extended Fork Question on Heritage-raked-4-degrees-003.jpg   Rake, Extended Fork Question on Heritage-raked-4-degrees-004.jpg   Rake, Extended Fork Question on Heritage-raked-4-degrees-007.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rake, Extended Fork Question on Heritage