Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 02:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
First bike? Found out what some experienced riders suggested to first timers.

• Sportster – Pros and Cons
• What are your plans with the bike
• Height and weight
• Safety

These are just some things you need to consider before making a move.

Read full discussion below.
Print Wikipost

First bike for beginner

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 04:52 PM
08Nighttrain
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

buy what you want but ride it with respect and ride it slow and easy dont ride with others if they are gonna push you to dire above your ability. I learned alot about motorcycles riding dirtbikes and i do think there is some merit to starting out with a used smaller bike till you perfectthe fundamentals and learn to ride defensively. A lighter bike is easy to turn and move out of the way of a steel sled for an inexperienced rider. Besides everyone is raging sportsters but they make great project bikes to keep and make an awesome bar hopper out of when you move up to a bigger bike. just my opinion. but what is a fact is take a riders safety course before riding on the road!

Old 03-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Rbs68cgr
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A few different opinions, lol. I started on a sport bike & later got a fully dressed Yamaha. I never dropped any bike, everyone is diff. I now own a Softtail & it fits my body & is a good style for my riding situations. I ride a lot of city & like taking long highway rides. Tough position your in, lots of choices when your not sure. Take your time & ask lots of questions.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:34 PM
2006FLST
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy what you want and take it slow and easy. You can drop a sporty just as easy as you can a softail or dyna etc. Although you can get an older sporty for very cheap. The first bike I owned was a rigid EVO that I built with a high amount of trail and was a bitch to handle at slow speeds. But I just took my time and rode by myself for a while. Oh and I took a good course first and did have off road experience.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have to agre with some here get what you want and go slow take the safety course if you haven't and ride sideroads and parking lots till you get the hang of it and feel comforable. Relax and you should do ok

Old 03-15-2012, 06:48 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 176 Likes on 88 Posts

Don't wait! Get the Harley first and get one big enough and to your liking. They are all easy to ride.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Poolguy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of advice out there. Hope hogfinatic can sort all this out. I would like to add one thing. Don't let anyone talk you out of a sporty if that is the bike you like or wanna start on. They have a 1200 cc motor which is pretty big and were originally designed to be a racing bike. They are not something to look down on like some do. What ever you get, take your time and be safe

Old 03-15-2012, 09:46 PM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

If you have ridden bikes before I say buy what you like and want to ride for a while. I wouldnt waist time and money buying something small and changing out in a year. Softails ride easy. well balanced. My first bike is the sled I have right now. I raced moto for alot of years and had sport bikes and had never ridden a Harley before. I bought what I liked. My Deluxe rides easy.

Stone

Old 03-16-2012, 08:33 AM
MikeZ
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

If you go with a new Sporty and you become fairly proficient quickly, then you will regret it and trade it fast. I know because I did it. I suggest that you do what I should have done but didn't: buy a used Vulcan or Yamaha V Star with floorboards and a 900+ cc engine and get a feel for a cruiser. Then trade it in after your first season (or sooner, if you have the means) on a Softy.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:14 AM
wildrooster
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For myself I started on a 750 Honda and dropped it less than a block from the shop honestly I had no experience whatsoever had to figure it out as I got home. Two years later got a 1600 kawasaki and two years later wanted bigger and got a 2300 triumph then a year after wanted smaller and got the deluxe

Old 03-16-2012, 09:46 AM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jreichart
Get what you want, not what you think you should have. There's no such thing as a "beginners" bike. You will learn to ride what you buy. Riding a sporty does not make you any more prepared when you move up to a softail, you'll still need to learn to ride the softail. So, just get what you want and learn to ride it. Never get something you plan on trading up in a year, just a waste of cash. IMHO.
I agree within reason. Stay away from a full dresser if you've never ridden before, but don't wast cash on something you don't want. If you do want a "learning bike" buy the cheapest thing you can find. A $2000 bike wont go down much in value in a year. But like the others have said, take the course! Also, be sure to start slow. Spend lots of practice time in parking lots or whatever and get VERY comfortable with your bike. Would be a great idea to rent one to make sure you get something that fits you. As far as what bike to get? Well that all depends on what you like, and what ridding you want to do. You'll have to figure that one out on your own. I know I made about 20 visits to the dealer before I finally pulled the trigger...

Quick Reply: First bike for beginner