Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 02:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
First bike? Found out what some experienced riders suggested to first timers.

• Sportster – Pros and Cons
• What are your plans with the bike
• Height and weight
• Safety

These are just some things you need to consider before making a move.

Read full discussion below.
Print Wikipost

First bike for beginner

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 11:44 PM
discodave
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a walk around your local dealer. Buy what you WANT, not what you have to settle for. If you "settle" for something it will always be in the back of your mind and you'll always have your eye on that bike that you REALLY want. Get the bike you really want and learn to ride it. It is a good idea to get a lot of practice riding in on something that you wouldn't mind dropping, because you definitely don't want to drop your new bike. Rent one maybe and ride that for a few days. Take the Basic Rider Course. It's VERY good for beginners (if you are a beginner, which I'm guessing you are). It will teach you the basic fundamentals that you may not have learned on your own. It's usually the small things that people forget to do that causes them to get into trouble. The Basic course will teach you those things so you get into certain habits, good habits. Good luck!

Last edited by discodave; 03-17-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:02 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Still haven't seen a second post from the OP. He has a lot of extra info to share as others have suggested:
Have you taken the safety course?
What kind of past riding experience do you have?
What kind of riding will you be doing? Commute? Short trips? Weekend trips? Long trips?
Two up or solo?
If your friends ride what do they ride?
How tall? Maybe even weight?

Old 03-17-2012, 01:15 PM
ankleman
Intermediate

I just started riding this year,took riding class four years ago! I also had no idea of what bike to get and had lots of advise. I went to Harley dealer sat on bikes and still had reservations of what to get. Dealer suggested I get a sportster first and trade in later. I'm 5'7 and 205lbs, and sportster just felt small. So I went with the heritage 2012 model, expensive first bike! But I am very happy I chose this bike the ride is awsome and the look WOW!
I have had bike one week and have 150 miles just riding around house and in a large parking lot. The parking lot is great for first and second gear practice. I practiced slow turns and starting and stoping. And other things the manual said to practice. If the sporty feels to small try something else. Get what you feel comfortable on.
I was worried of such a big bike for first bike but as I have learned you will get comfortable fast. The fear will subside and the ride will be great.
Good luck and happy riding.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:08 PM
Joker_Hal
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hspring03
Get something used and inexpensive..... Ride a season on it, and upgrade next year.

It does not need to be a Harley....

I fully agree with this.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:23 PM
poppavein
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In fact, it hurts the pride a lot less when the bike you drop is *not* a Harley.

(Some things you have to learn the hard way, so you are likely to drop it or fall over the first year.)

Old 03-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Clint Bateman
Intermediate

Get a cheap metric and get the feel for riding before buying something you regret. You should be able to unload it for what you put into it.