Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red Key Light Stays on

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 05:28 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As others have said, I would find out what code it is throwing before I tore anything down.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:16 PM
jphillips63
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did find a code which is b1154 but I can't find anything on it as what is triggered.

James

Old 03-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Cadillacjake
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

B1154 is your clutch switch behind the clutch lever. Mines been broken for months and the bike operates fine.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:32 AM
jphillips63
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know a part number or a source to buy this switch from such as radio shack? Now that I've found the problem with the help of you guys I'm no so worried but I would like to fix it so I don't have that red light on all the time.

James

Old 03-27-2012, 01:15 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you double check the wiring coming from the switch and to it's plug? Just to make sure it was plugged in completely or non of the wires had pulled out of the switch? Also make sure that when the clutch lever is completely released that it is not still touching the switch. If the switch is staying engaged maybe that could be causing the code. I am not sure of a part number but I do know that the technical term is Clutch Safety Switch. Here is a link to one I found on Ebay. I am not sure if it will still be using the same part number but it will at least give you a starting point. Police models have been using this switch for years so maybe Harley just stuck with the same switch throughout the years.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-71584...sories&vxp=mtr

Old 03-27-2012, 11:26 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jphillips63
Does anyone know a part number or a source to buy this switch from such as radio shack? Now that I've found the problem with the help of you guys I'm no so worried but I would like to fix it so I don't have that red light on all the time.

James
I was throwing the same code when I broke my switch while changing my grips. I couldn't start my bike in gear with clutch lever in at all. I reset the code (b1154-clutch input switch short to ground) several times but it always came back on. I could still ride and did so for a month or two. I went to the H-D dealer and bought a replacement. I don't remember the part number but it was $61 believe it or not. That I do remember. Just go in and tell them what you need. They'll look it up. I'm sure you could connect a different switch but it may not fit in the same space or operate well with the flange on the clutch lever. The OEM switch is also sealed to keep water out of the switch and the switch housing. If the wires go through a plug, it's probably not until they come out of the handlebars and run under the tank. The procedure to replace it states cut out the old and splice the new switch in the switch housing, solder and cover with heat shrink. The new switch came with heat shrink tubing as well. It should have been solid gold for the price...

Old 05-17-2012, 12:53 PM
brinsr
Advanced

I bypassed the switch because the chrome kit I had didn't have the provisons for a safety switch. Was told it wouldn't be a problem. There is a possibility that the wires are not hooked into the plug properly hence removal of the tank and that hassle for a MAYBE! ugggh

Old 05-17-2012, 03:22 PM
glock221
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a similar problem. Mine was the tail light was blown.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:33 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

guess he figured it out.

Last edited by Tampa Fatboy; 05-17-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:20 PM
nitrohound
Tourer

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
Yeah, the switch that makes the green neutral light come on is a different switch. The one on the clutch lever is used to allow the bike to start while in gear by simply pulling in the clutch lever. But, like I said I don't know if Softails had them in 07. I know Touring bikes did.
Thanks, I know where my problem is now. Changed my grips and somehow broke a piece off bottom of clutch right next to that switch.

Quick Reply: Red Key Light Stays on