Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bleeding rear brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 03:06 PM
fatboy1729
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bleeding rear brakes...

Looking to get some advice or help of any kind on bleeding the rear brakes on my 06" Fatboy. I finally got the front ones to work but no luck in the rear at all. I take the bleeder screw almost off and when I pump the brake no fluid is even coming out of it. There are no leaks anywhere. Also, when I am pumping the rear brake, the fluid in the master cylinder is not going down like it was in the front. Am I missing something? And I got the manual in front of me. Please, need advice on how to do this right...Thanks for all your time...

Old 04-07-2012, 03:14 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like your rear bleeder is clogged. I would replace it since its cheap. For me, I use a vacuum pump to bleed my brakes, much easier than the pump and bleed method.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:28 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

Might go with these if Ur gonna replace them anyway.

I don't have these but a lot of members in here swear by them.. Good swear...

I am thinking about ordering a set of them..
http://www.speedbleeder.com/

Old 04-07-2012, 04:42 PM
trozenhorse
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i bought a mightvac last year, harbor freight has their own version, pretty cheap and good to have. did my front and rear. all good, and there are good youtube videos showing how to do it, i paid $24 for the mightyvac. good luck!

Old 04-07-2012, 04:50 PM
suiii15
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just run some rubber tubing from the bleeder into a jar of brake fluid, leave it open and pump away, ther air will get pushed out and rise to top of fluid in jar and it will suck in fluid on the return. great for changing out old fluid too, the stuff that comes out will be pretty nasy.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:54 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

you can put a hose on the bleeder and suck. When you don't feel air bobbles anymore then you're good to go. If it is clogged, I know a few girls that can suck a golf ball through a... oh, never mind, just buy the pump.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,245 Likes on 5,408 Posts

Originally Posted by fatboy1729
I take the bleeder screw almost off and when I pump the brake no fluid is even coming out of it. There are no leaks anywhere. Also, when I am pumping the rear brake, the fluid in the master cylinder is not going down like it was in the front. Am I missing something?

What have you done to the brakes? It is very easy to get motorcycle master cylinders "air locked" where they will not pump. First check the rod from the brake pedal to the master cylinder...it must have some free play. If the piston in the master cylinder does not return 100%, it will not pump. Go to the auto parts store and buy a brand new pump oil can...don't even think about using one that has ever had oil in it. Get a piece if vacuum hose that is a snug fit on the oil can and bleeder screw. Put some teflon tape on the bleeder screw threads. Crack open the bleeder screw 1/4 turn. Put brake fluid in the oil can, connect the vacuum hose to the bleeder screw and pump fluid up to the master cylinder. Now the air bubbles are going the direction they want to go...up. Works better than any other method and costs less too. I recently had my bike apart and bled my rear brake and hydraulic clutch in about a minute...really. Try it... it works.

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 04-07-2012 at 10:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mswillia1 (07-14-2022)
Old 07-13-2017, 04:24 PM
Bikebuilder60
Stage I
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bleeding brakes

Had an 04 Sportster in the shop this week and had brake bleeding issues which I haven't had in years ! Im a bike builder and have pretty much seen it all I thought ... Could not get this rear brake to bleed out and give me a firm pedal. Mighty vac , conventional bleeding , nothing worked . so I start thinking backwards , found out if I remove the caliper off the mount , stick in a piece of wood in place of brake pads and rotor and over extend the brake piston out of the bore , beyond where the travel would ever be , then install caliper and compress the piston back to its normal location as I installed the new brake pads . this gave me minimal effort to pump up the pedal and final bleed the brake .... Hope it helps someone ..... Mike

The following users liked this post:
AHD4ME (03-03-2023)
Old 07-14-2017, 07:16 AM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 892 Likes on 534 Posts

As already stated, a Miti-Vac makes it so easy. Check You tube for videos...

Old 07-14-2017, 09:53 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,412 Likes on 4,016 Posts

Originally Posted by fatboy1729
Looking to get some advice or help of any kind on bleeding the rear brakes on my 06" Fatboy. I finally got the front ones to work but no luck in the rear at all. I take the bleeder screw almost off and when I pump the brake no fluid is even coming out of it. There are no leaks anywhere.
Possible plugged/bad bleeder, I'd start with those. After checking the master cylinder function, maybe think of a bad rubber brake line. The rubber can deteriorate and clog the line....

I've had a vacuum bleeder and used it with my air compressor... It worked, but I wasn't real thrilled with the performance.

I switched to a Motive pressure bleeder and damn, that is the way to go...!!! I went so far as getting a spare front & rear cap, put a fitting in each to attach to the pressure bleeder, and bam! Setting it up takes a few minutes more than actually bleeding the brakes...

I am sold on the pressure bleeding v vacuum bleeding...!

Quick Reply: Bleeding rear brakes...