Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Head Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Andy-Deuce
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering Head Bearings

These are the triple trees of my 2002 deuce, i'm replacing them with raked triple trees. My Question is can this lower bearing be removed and reused onto the stem of my new triple trees? Was the bearing pressed on originally and if i to buy a new bearing does it need a special tool to press it on?

Old 06-17-2012, 03:29 PM
TRUSTNOBODY
Cruiser

Nope it cannot be reused. U can get a new timken bearing from ebay for a couple bucks

Old 06-17-2012, 03:30 PM
TRUSTNOBODY
Cruiser

The new bearing will slide on new stem without having to press it on.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:42 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have reused the bearings many times in the past with no issues what so ever as long as it is being reused in the same race. It should slide off but sometimes may need a little persuasion. I have used a press to press the stem out through the lower tree and the bearing will be left sitting on top of the tree.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:52 PM
trozenhorse
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for the cost of the bearing replace it while you have the chance. I had to get mine pressed on. Good luck!

Old 06-17-2012, 05:11 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO, replace the bearings while you've got it all torn down. You can get a good set for $30-40. Inspect the races and replace them too if needed. Most aftermarket trees don't require the bearings to be pressed on, just a slip fit, but I do believe they are pressed on the stock trees.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member

I agree with J. They're cheap and it's probably about time to replace them anyways.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:01 PM
xwhyz1959
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 1,398 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
I have reused the bearings many times in the past with no issues what so ever as long as it is being reused in the same race. It should slide off but sometimes may need a little persuasion. I have used a press to press the stem out through the lower tree and the bearing will be left sitting on top of the tree.
+1 It's a very slight press fit. You can use a small arbor press to do it. Don't need a hydraulic press.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:32 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xwhyz1959
+1 It's a very slight press fit. You can use a small arbor press to do it. Don't need a hydraulic press.
I'm confused, why wouldn't you replace them? Would you change cams and use the same bearings? Do you reuse your oil if it looks pretty good? Bearings are cheap, relatively. Who wants to tear down their front end again if they can avoid it? It's like o rings and gaskets, why do things twice. Just replace them. JMHO.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:34 PM
WFA
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jreichart
i'm confused, why wouldn't you replace them? Would you change cams and use the same bearings? Do you reuse your oil if it looks pretty good? Bearings are cheap, relatively. Who wants to tear down their front end again if they can avoid it? It's like o rings and gaskets, why do things twice. Just replace them. Jmho.

I couldn't agree more. If you have it down to put new raked triple trees on why would you not replace the bearings and the races. The races generally take as much of a beating, if not more, as the bearings. Imo... both will have more pressure on them due to the rake. I would go all new. Cheaper now !!

Quick Reply: Steering Head Bearings