Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90+ degrees outside and now pinging

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 07:07 PM
liquidr1
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 90+ degrees outside and now pinging

Now that the temp here in NC is getting into the 90's my 2012 Fatboy Lo is pinging.

Bike was dynotuned back in april and it was about 75 degrees out that day. Only engine mods are my V&H Big Radius and the SE Heavy Breather. Bike has ran great until today. Well today was the first really HOT day iv driven it.

It was 97 degrees out on my ride home from work today and i start to hear ping.....ping.....ping..ping..............ping. In 5th and 6th gear crusing at 70-75 mph 2300-2600ish rpm's. Then i hit a traffic jam and was forced to a standstill for about 15 minutes. After that, the bike ping'd even taking off from a stop in all gears until i got the bike cooled down again.

What should I do, is a retune for the hotter weather necessary. I had it dynotuned with the Power Vision and im not familiar enough with the software to go changing things myself.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:17 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

maybe bad gas... or low octane?

Old 06-28-2012, 07:20 PM
liquidr1
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Well, to be honest, there is a new gas station in town that just opend two weeks ago that is selling fuel 30 cents cheaper than every where else in town. Iv filled up with their 93 octane for the last 2 tanks. Perhaps ill go back to BP or Shell.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:26 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidr1
Well, to be honest, there is a new gas station in town that just opend two weeks ago that is selling fuel 30 cents cheaper than every where else in town. Iv filled up with their 93 octane for the last 2 tanks. Perhaps ill go back to BP or Shell.
++++ Yep that would be my first step.

Good Luck!

Old 06-28-2012, 07:37 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You run an oil cooler? I'm just sayin.....Half of the board says not needed, the other half says it better to run with one. I am in the latter group of the 2 for that very reason. Run Amsoil? It has the best additve package on the market today. Oil is oil, it's the additve package that sets them apart, and I know half of the board will disagree with that too. I have worked for chemical and oil companies for over 30 years. Its all in the additve package. And yes, 1st step would be new gas.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:43 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be talking to the guy who tuned it.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have to say the fuel today is bad, what I think and can't prove is there is the octane is not whats advertised. Last summer Mine ran great all summer no matter how hot it was now this year I get a ping evey now and again when it's real hot out, I started mixing some 100 octane racing gas when it's real hot and humid out.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:17 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts

+1 on the oil cooler. You might also want to try Star tron.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:10 PM
jakson200369
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be running Amsoil in my bike for some of the above stated reasons. I would suggest hitting there website and trying to find a local dealer. The more you deal with a local guy the more likely he will treat you as repeat buisness and start cutting you some slack on the price. I mention Amsoil because they have a new gas additive out that is supposed to boost the octane numbers by 3 points, if I remember correctly. It is like $4 for a can that will treat one tank. Not saying that I would use it all the time, basically because I really can not afford to. But you might give that stuff a shot. Most (if not all) Amsoil products are superior and legitimate products, and they do not sale "magic" in a can.

By all your gas from one station from now on. Hopefully a station you trust. We have Quik Trips here and they gurantee their gasoline, as in if you ever have a fuel related problem they will pay for the repairs.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:37 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Use synthetic oil. Summer blend gas may require a different dyno. Lean AFR's run hot.

I had trouble with mine when I moved south to thicker air and hotter temps. I changed to a Thunder Max and added O2 sensors so that I didn't have to keep tweaking my power commander. Took a while to get the right fuel curves but so far so good.

Your bike should auto adjust to some degree, however, since you have a '12. I don't know how piggy backs work on later Harleys if that is what you have.

Quick Reply: 90+ degrees outside and now pinging