Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removed rear turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 01:31 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Removed rear turn signals

I removed my rear turn signals today instead of relocating them. I took off the tailight and unplugged the turn signals from the taillight housing. I then took the signals off the struts and plugged the holes with chrome plugs. It looks good, I like the clean look. My question is do I need to be concerned with leaving the plug holes open? They are inside the taillight housing so I don't think it will be, but what do you guys think?

Also, when I first turned my signals on afterward, the left signal (front) blinked correctly for about 5 blinks, then is started blinking really fast. After that it has worked properly, anyone know why this would have happened?

I guess what I am asking is there anything that could go wrong by leaving the signals off? (other than basic traffic safety)

Old 01-24-2007, 01:52 AM
JLOCKHART29
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Removed rear turn signals

The unpluged holes you are talking about I am assuming are in the circut board. That should not be a problem. How ever I believe the front and rear turn blinkers are on the same circut. By doing away with the rear blinkers completely you have transfered the full voltage to the front. This should make them blink fast all the time if I am thinking correct. I do not know why yours went back to blinking slow. I had a short in my front left blinker last month and when I turned it on my back blinked rapidly. Electrical is my weak suit. Prehaps some one else can awnser better but I do not think it is going to work correctly if all you did was do away with the rear blinkers and do not add some form of load equilizer.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:03 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure about the blinking thing, but I would recomend that you fill up the old connectors with dielectric grease to keep them from corroding should any moisture or water get in to them.
Ya never know if someday you might want to use them again, and it would be a shame if all that was left was some green powder instead of connector pins.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:13 AM
DR.Greenthumb
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I removed my front signals and have some small led's on the rear.I have to run two load equalizers to make mine work correctly.One on the front and one for the rear.After I removed the front signals it screwed up my security system and the check eng light was on all the time.Sounds like yours is ok now ,but don't be surprised if you have some issues elsewhere.Good Luck

Old 01-24-2007, 02:32 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

I think I will just put the turn signals back on. I have the relocation kit. Seems easier.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:07 AM
ironman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
Let us know how you get on with the relocation kit please - with pics if possible????

Ive an 06 Fatboy and have to consider this in order to fit detachable sissy bar.

Only issue I have is almost everyone Ive noted on this forum seems to think the relocation kit is a bit of a pigs ear....

Old 01-24-2007, 06:27 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

You can run the fronts only if your put a resistor in each line to cut the current. The bike will think the rear turn signals are still there.

Personally, I'd just take the front ones off and run with none if your state will allow it.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:20 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

I was planning on taking the front off as well. I should have indicated this in my first post. Would this cause any issues, like the ones mentioned above. (engine light coming on, etc.)

Old 01-24-2007, 01:03 PM
azmcdude
Cruiser

I'm removing my front turn signals this weekend. Have the HD lighted mirrors (which are LED) and also have the load equalizer. Are you saying that the check engine light is on even with the load equalizers in place? I'm under the impression that the security system will still work as long as the load equalizer is in place.....and that system lights will work as normal as well...???

[IMG]local://upfiles/23200/B894A71DAA244E2588B55CAA9C15CD2A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-24-2007, 01:25 PM
chops
Tourer

The TSSM is designed to monitor each bulb current draw, and has a set minimum amount it expects to see.
Should any bulb burn out, the TSSM detects reduced current consumption, therefor alerting you by blinking the remaining bulb fast to the situation.

You'll need 'load equalizers' which is just a fancy name for a 20 watt power resistor and isolation 2 amp power diode.

Running without turn sigs is a personal choice; in my environment with all the illegal drivers and crazies I'd get whacked in short order without them. Modifying your turn sigs to running/brake/turn even better.

Quick Reply: Removed rear turn signals