Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance & Hines fuel pak?!!

Old 06-11-2013, 02:02 AM
elev8rguy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vance & Hines fuel pak?!!

I just bought this 2005 Heritage Softail from a friend with V&H straight shots installed and stock air cleaner. I called up the HD shop to see if it had the stage 1 download and dude said it did. I installed a V&H VO2 DRAK air cleaner and took it for a ride to see how it performs. Got popping at times between gears and on decel. It wasn't doing this with the stock air cleaner. Will a fuel pak make any difference or would I just be wasting money. Also, if It will make a difference, would I have to revert back to the original mapping for the fuel pak to do it's job with the parameters outlined for my combo? New to the EFI, TC scene so please accept my apologies if this question is too fundamental.

Thanks, elev8rguy

Old 06-11-2013, 04:28 AM
Man on Fire
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO the FuelPak is a waste of time as it is extremely limited in it's adjustability...not to mention the folks there are about as useful as a football bat when it comes to tuning. It was originally installed on my bike with a set of short shots when I got it and the thing had gobs of decel pop and popped heavily mid-shift. Decided to scrap it and go with a Power Commander which definitely improved my popping. Installing baffles in your pipes would clear up most, if not all of your issues. hope this helps.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:06 AM
badpig173
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fuel pak is set-up for a high flow air cleaner & exhaust, it is limited in its abilities, but it is way cheaper than the Power Commanders and you can install it yourself.. It will most definitley help with the decel pop, I have one installed on my 2010 Fatboy Lo w/ V&H staggered short shots (black) and a STOCK air cleaner from a fatbob (swoopback). I immediately noticed the return of my low end horse power and my fuel mileage go up.. IMHO if you arent running cames or the big bore kits, you shouldn't need a Power Commander or Thundermax..

Old 06-11-2013, 09:23 AM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by elev8rguy
had the stage 1 download and dude said it did. I installed a V&H VO2 DRAK air cleaner and took it for a ride
When you make changes to a system, you have to change the tune accordingly.

Will a fuel pak make any difference or would I just be wasting money.
Not so sure that it's a good idel to add a tuner on top of a tune. Best bet now would be: 1) Have your bike retuned. 2) Buy a new "Programer" type tuner.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:24 AM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Man on Fire
IMHO the FuelPak is a waste of time as it is extremely limited in it's adjustability...not to mention the folks there are about as useful as a football bat when it comes to tuning. It was originally installed on my bike with a set of short shots when I got it and the thing had gobs of decel pop and popped heavily mid-shift. Decided to scrap it and go with a Power Commander which definitely improved my popping. Installing baffles in your pipes would clear up most, if not all of your issues. hope this helps.
Did it to two bikes I have and the same results, but am satisfied

Originally Posted by badpig173
The fuel pak is set-up for a high flow air cleaner & exhaust, it is limited in its abilities, but it is way cheaper than the Power Commanders and you can install it yourself.. It will most definitley help with the decel pop, I have one installed on my 2010 Fatboy Lo w/ V&H staggered short shots (black) and a STOCK air cleaner from a fatbob (swoopback). I immediately noticed the return of my low end horse power and my fuel mileage go up.. IMHO if you arent running cames or the big bore kits, you shouldn't need a Power Commander or Thundermax..
Have hi-flow air cleaner and get decel popping, but fuel milage is good and low end is satisfactory,I am satisfied.
It is an on the cheap way to go till I decide how much money I want to throw at the things

Old 06-11-2013, 10:09 AM
HRCH
Cruiser

I've heard many people put down the Vance and Hines fuelpak. All I can say is this, I had one on my 2012 Dyna Wide Glide and it worked the way it was intended to work. I had the Vance and Hines twin slash slip ons. Before the fuelpak, I had lots of popping on decel and lots of backfiring while shifting gears. The Fuelpack eliminated about 90% of all that nuisance. The bike pulled harder with the fuelpak. Plus, when I shifted gears and closed the throttle, the sound from the pipes sounded really nice. Would I buy it again? I tried to, but it wouldn't work on my new Breakout. So, I opted for the Power Vision. I am so glad I did. If you can swing the extra cost of the Power Vision it is 100% worth it. If you decide to get it, make sure you get the Power Vision from Fuel Moto. Their stage 1 billet air cleaner only cost $50 if you buy the Power Vision from them. Their tech support and free MAP is great too.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:30 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Ive used the Fuel Pak and like many people sold it and went to another tuner.

The Fuel Pak is Ok for what itt is a Fuel Tuner , it adds or removes fuel- period. The down side is it is proprietary and only V & H knows the mode setting. IMO its better than the stage 1.

The Fuel Pak will work on your bike with the Stage 1 , V & H has settings for stock and Stage 1 ECM.

But IMO fopr the $ there are a lot better tuners out there and just as easy to install and use. For Fuel only Fuel Moto has a micro tuner , for a true tuner that will adjust timing and fuel look at the Dyno Jet PC V or best yet is any of the flash tuners - Power Vision, SERT, TTS ect

Old 06-11-2013, 10:32 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Some people like to screw with stuff, a fuelpak is a bad choice for them.
Some people like to brag, so they want dyno tunes, a fuelpak is bad for them.
some people like to live out thier dreams of having the HotRod they wanted in high school, therefore dyno sheets are part of that need, a fuelpak is bad for them.
Some people I do not understand, but hey want a display like a super tachometer on thier bars, A fuelpak is bad for them.
Some people, like me, want the very best money can buy, a fuelpak is bad for them.
Some people, want the most bang for thier buck and don't really care what the guys are the local watering hole are going to say, they find a used fuelpak off ebay for $75 and ride thier bike.
The fuelpak is fine for what you are wanting it for. Can you do a dyno run with it, no. Do you need a dyno run, no. However, you don't want to tell people you have a fuelpak, they will tease you.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:34 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 751 Likes on 459 Posts

Obviously there's love/hate opinions out there when it comes to the Fuel Pak.
If I was to buy a new stage 1 "fuel tuner" it would be a Micro EFI Tuner from Fuel Moto.

That being said, I love that others hate the Fuel Pak because I was able to get mind off e-bay for half the price of a new one.

My setup- 2009 Heritage- V&H Short shots staggereds- SE AC-stage 1 dealer download
Before the Fuel Pak- good performance, average mpg 36, oil temp 235 degrees?, constant decel pop.
After the Fuel Pak- better low end, average mpg 40, oil temp 220 degrees?, no decel pop.

The only issue is the used one didn't come with a deep ecm tray but I picked one up at the dealer for $10.

If you plan on staying with only a stage 1 for a while and can get the Fuel Pak for under $150 on e-Bay I recommend it.

If you are going to buy new and only want a fuel tuner, go with the Fuel Moto Micro EFI tuner.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:56 PM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior

go ahead and spend a little more and get a pcIII or pcV from jamie at fuelmoto. He will program what you need and any program changes you need he will do for free since you bought from him. It will run way better with no popping and they will also change the rev limit and improve throttle progression. I would make sure I got something that could progress with my changes in the future, ie: cams, big bore, etc. I went with the powervision since I added cams and will probably do full bigger bore later.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vance & Hines fuel pak?!!