Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flush Mount Caps On BOTH Sides???

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 12:55 AM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Flush Mount Caps On BOTH Sides???

Anyone ever put the flush mount gas caps on both sides of their tanks and eliminating the fuel gauge all together? I see eBay and other sites have these cheap and one side is called a vented and the other non vented is the non vented meant to replace the fuel gauge? I will just go off my miles to gauge my fuel use. I know HD makes the flush mount LED fuel gauge but would rather save a ton of cash and those gauges are not too accurate anyway as I had one on my train.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:06 AM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The non-vented is for the fuel gauge side. When you remove the fuel gauge you'll see that there's just a hole in the bottom for the gauge wiring to go through. You can actually see this without removing the gauge just by looking at the bottom of the tank. The only vented side is the gas cap side.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:09 AM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

Thanks Fatbob! Just wanted to make sure it would work on my 07 how I was thinking that it would.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:44 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Let us know how this works as I'm interested in the results, particularly what happens with the sender wires disconnected.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:09 AM
Inop
Stellar HDF Member

Received 682 Likes on 292 Posts

I have dual flush caps on my tank, never had a gas gauge.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:12 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

Sounds good Thanks Iron for the reply.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:44 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by CSS_FXD
Anyone ever put the flush mount gas caps on both sides of their tanks and eliminating the fuel gauge all together? I see eBay and other sites have these cheap and one side is called a vented and the other non vented is the non vented meant to replace the fuel gauge? I will just go off my miles to gauge my fuel use. I know HD makes the flush mount LED fuel gauge but would rather save a ton of cash and those gauges are not too accurate anyway as I had one on my train.

Its funny some can and some can't figure out how to ride without a working Gas Gauge, Many other members have to ask for an answer in here when they have a gas gauge Issue..

Last edited by oct1949; 03-11-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:18 PM
08Nighttrain
Road Master

If you disconnect the fuel gauge will the "miles to empty" data on the console still work?

Old 03-11-2014, 07:01 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

Oct

Ha yeah no kidding? Hell even with a gauge I trust my mileage anyway. Same goes for my truck.

08train

Not sure on that one as if I remember right my 07 Standard might not have that option but I bought the bike late fall and never rode it much before the snow hit us and I started the mods.

The thing that throws me off is the caps I find say non vented reverse thread for left side but the fuel gauge just pulls out right ? Its not threaded in like say one on a old tank that had only two caps no gauge.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:25 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by CSS_FXD
I want to do the exact same thing.

Quick Reply: Flush Mount Caps On BOTH Sides???