Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question About ABS Softails

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 06:45 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Question About ABS Softails

Hey Gang,

I am in the process of finding a set of stock Softail Slim wheels to throw onto my 2008 Crossbones. I've already secured an almost complete, new take off rear wheel. I am currently searching for the front.

As I was reading a post about other wheels that folks were selling, the topic came up about differences in ABS and non-ABS wheels.

My Crossbones is not ABS. No Springer is.

I was under the impression that the ABS Softails had different rotors. Not a problem as I was planning on getting some floating non-ABS rotors.

However, I recently read that ABS wheels also have different bearings. Do any of you know if this is correct? If so, is this the case for both the front and rear wheels?

I need to know if I need to replace the bearings in the wheels I buy. I guess I don't even know if the Slim the wheel I already have came from an ABS Slim or not.

Any info would be appreciated.

Skeez

Old 04-20-2014, 06:47 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes, as I understand it, the bearing is where the speed sensor is for the ABS system.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:54 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
Yes, as I understand it, the bearing is where the speed sensor is for the ABS system.
Is there any reason why these bearing can't just be run on a non-ABS bike? Is it simply that they have sensors or do they actually function differently than standard bearings?

Old 04-20-2014, 08:25 PM
DDuess
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the bearing is different for ABS, requiring a different spacer on the side that also has the sensor ring. Since the stack up is different for that bearing, the spacer in the wheel is different but the other side is the same as non ABS bearing. I also believe there is a kit with the correct bearings and spacer all in hand for a bare wheel. In other words, the wheel is the same, all the spacers and bearings are different for the ABS side and internals. Parts breakdown drawing will show it I bet. Should be the same way front and rear ABS/non ABS wheels.

Last edited by DDuess; 04-20-2014 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:01 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
Is there any reason why these bearing can't just be run on a non-ABS bike? Is it simply that they have sensors or do they actually function differently than standard bearings?
You should be able to use them without using ABS.