Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping floorboards for pegs? Fatboy Lo

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 12:35 PM
Wabbit
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Swapping floorboards for pegs? Fatboy Lo

Hey folks, hoping to find some information from people who have used both. I have a 2011 Fatboy Lo. I am 5'10", but long legs, so I found it more comfortable when I used the Kuryakn floorboard extenders to move the floor boards forward. I also removed the heel shifter and added 1 1/2 inches to clutch and brake lever arms. It's pretty comfortable for short rides, though I do get a lot of scraping when I make some turns.

However, it isn't the most comfortable for long rides, because I don't have a good way to stretch my legs out, like highway pegs. I can sort of stretch my legs out on the floor boards, but then I have to keep my legs tense in order to keep them on the boards, which isn't good for long. Otherwise I have to keep my legs in the regular bent leg, feet flat on the boards way.

I am not willing to add a crash bar to hang them off of, and I want to keep as clean and lean a look on my bike as possible. I was thinking about getting something along the lines of the Kuryakyn Swingwing pegs. I don't really like the looks of them a lot, though it's hard to see the overall look with their closeups, but it looks like it gives you some options without having extra crap hanging all over your bike.

Anyone have experience along these lines? How do pegs compare to floorboards for long rides?
Thanks!

Old 05-06-2014, 01:22 PM
OIF SuperGlide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couldn't tell ya about floor boards, but I have forwards on my 2009 NT. Looking to swap the full setup with someone who has boards (crossbones/slim/FB Lo) if you're intrested. I have the stock forward setup with the Kury Premium Mini-Floors, they are better than pegs for long rides by a long shot, but couldn't tell ya compared to full Floorboards.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:47 PM
Gunzenrosa
Novice

http://www.ironacesspeedshop.com/imt...-highway-pegs/

I have these on my Slim and like them when I need a stretch. I'm 6'2" and extended the boards 3" forward but still don't have room to stretch out. With the jack knife pegs I can have them when I want a fold them away out of sight when I don't.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:41 AM
Wabbit
Tourer

Originally Posted by Gunzenrosa
http://www.ironacesspeedshop.com/imt...-highway-pegs/

I have these on my Slim and like them when I need a stretch. I'm 6'2" and extended the boards 3" forward but still don't have room to stretch out. With the jack knife pegs I can have them when I want a fold them away out of sight when I don't.
Those look great! Only thing I am worried about is that I already tend to scrape the floorboards on turns (I have a Fatboy Lo), so I'd probably destroy these.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:07 PM
Gunzenrosa
Novice

I scrape all the time and I'm enjoying it to the point I dig in on purpose. The jac knife pegs actual fold under the board and protect them.
I've looked at forwards and have decided that the jac knifes give me both where as the forwards you can't rest your feet flat if you want
To each their own. Good luck with whatever route you go.

Last edited by Gunzenrosa; 05-07-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:07 PM
Wabbit
Tourer

Now that I think about it, the scraping happens towards the back, so this might be just what I need. Do you have the kickout peg on yours? Any good pics of it on, closed and open?

Old 05-07-2014, 08:12 PM
Detroit Iron
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunzenrosa
I scrape all the time and I'm enjoying it to the point I dig in on purpose. The jac knife pegs actual fold under the board and protect them.
I've looked at forwards and have decided that the jac knifes give me both where as the forwards you can't rest your feet flat if you want
To each their own. Good luck with whatever route you go.
The scraping can be very dangerous depending on the apex of the curve and your speed. I too have a 2011 Fat Boy Lo and I'd like to cure the scraping issue too. So far, I've decided to raise the bike a little. BTW I'm also 5' 10"

Old 06-16-2014, 12:39 PM
dr.dirty
Intermediate

I have a crossbones and have been wanting to go to FWD controls just need to finsd someone that's local that wants to swap.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:46 PM
Trak350
Tourer

I had forwards on my NT and switched to floorboards. I found the floorboards to be more comfortable but do scrape alot when riding aggressive. I am 5'9"-5'10". I did stretch my legs and rest my heels on the pegs on long rides, but I still find the floorboards more comfortable all around.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:19 PM
DAV
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dr.dirty
I have a crossbones and have been wanting to go to FWD controls just need to finsd someone that's local that wants to swap.
I'll trade yeah - PM me. Hell - I'll pay shipping if your parts are in as good of condition as mine are. See my album for pics.

Quick Reply: Swapping floorboards for pegs? Fatboy Lo