Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cranks but won't start

Old 06-23-2014, 04:16 PM
krzldy1949
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cranks but won't start

2002 Heritage - sitting for a while - new battery this week - turns over - fuel pump relay hisses instead of that little whine and the fuel gauge doesn't move - low fuel light stays on - 2 gallons of fresh gas in tank - please help

Old 06-23-2014, 05:00 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 3,012 Posts

How longs a while? Could the fuel filter be clogged?

Old 06-23-2014, 08:02 PM
Mike NY
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Fuel line inside of tank may have a hole. That might explain the Hiss.... Just guessing but it's known to happen...

Mike
NY

Old 06-23-2014, 09:47 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike NY
Fuel line inside of tank may have a hole. That might explain the Hiss.... Just guessing but it's known to happen...

Mike
NY
This. If you're bike is cranking and you have no fuse issues, you likely have a problem with fuel delivery.

The stock convoluted fuel lines inside the tank are long enough that they rub the inside of the tank. Over time, the rubbing causes holes in the lines. When the holes are submerged still, ie a full tank, it's not a problem.

You can replace with the stock lines again, or choose to go with shorter submersible lines. There are several threads about this on the forum.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:52 PM
camo36
Advanced

system relay sounds like its bad. Had this issue a while back, and if I was near the bike to look I could give you better instructions. Def a relay issue tho. Trying to think it out in my head to give you a better explanation but it's really not coming to me tho. Lol. Sorry. Just check the relays.

edit:
this sound about right?
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ump-relay.html

try swapping the black relay(start relay) for the white/gray(system relay) and see if there is any difference when you turn the ignition switch on with run switch in run.

Last edited by camo36; 06-24-2014 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:14 AM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike NY

Mike
NY
Yep, my 2002 EFI Fatboy was popping thru the intake and running like crap a few weeks ago. My Indy said the vent tube inside the tank was cracked and wouldn't allow the fuel pump to build pressure. He also replaced the check valve which was coming apart and with 20000 miles on my bike, he replaced the filter. Just picked up my bike and it runs better than ever. My Indy suggested that corn gas could be causing the vent tube to deteriorate. I'm running 91 non-oxy from now on.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:17 AM
krzldy1949
6th Gear

Thanks for all the suggestions - I replaced the relay switch - the grey one - and no differences. I am sure that it is a fuel issue but I was hoping for something easier than the fuel pump or the sending unit. It has been sitting about a year. I pulled the plugs and they were dry and didn't look too bad. The gauge on the left is stuck on empty and I thought perhaps the bike didn't know that it had fuel - something electrical? It is fuel injected so I'm not sure of the condition of the injectors. Then is the consensus to go with the fuel pump? Thanks,

Old 06-24-2014, 08:37 AM
camo36
Advanced

so you're saying that when you turn the ignition on with the run switch in run, that the normal 4 second whine from the fuel pump doesn't happen?

Old 06-24-2014, 08:39 AM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by krzldy1949
Thanks for all the suggestions - I replaced the relay switch - the grey one - and no differences. I am sure that it is a fuel issue but I was hoping for something easier than the fuel pump or the sending unit. It has been sitting about a year. I pulled the plugs and they were dry and didn't look too bad. The gauge on the left is stuck on empty and I thought perhaps the bike didn't know that it had fuel - something electrical? It is fuel injected so I'm not sure of the condition of the injectors. Then is the consensus to go with the fuel pump? Thanks,
Well, after just going thru this, my guess is your problem is in the gas tank.....especially if you're hearing a hissing noise from the fuel pump. Why not start with the simple stuff first? My Indy said cracked or pin holes in the vent tube is pretty common in Harley's. JMO

Last edited by HDmikie; 06-24-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:15 AM
krzldy1949
6th Gear

no it does not whine - makes a slight hissing / bubbling noise though

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cranks but won't start