Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 04:56 PM
Motordan
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Electrical Gremlin

I've got a good one for all you wrench turners and wire burners. I have a 2011 Heritage Softail with just over 15,000 miles on it. I have never had a problem until about two weeks ago. Running down the interstate at 70 MPH my 6th gear light went off as well as the tail lights and the speedo light. They stayed off for about two or three minutes and then came back on. After another ten minutes then went off again for a couple of minutes and then came on and remained on. This was a smooth road, not major bumps. I check and cleaned the fuse blocks, checked all the wiring harness' that I could find and found no problems. Started up the bike today and while idling the same group of lights went off for about thirty seconds and then came back on. Anyone have any suggestions. I have forty years experience with control wiring on everything from motorcycles to HVAC equipment an this has me a little confused!

Old 08-14-2014, 09:24 PM
spydyr
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Similar problem with my wife's 2012 Heritage. Lights flickering, turn signals not auto-cancelling, very weird random electrical stuff. Turned out to be the voltage regulator going bad. Check for codes, it might be throwing a code but not flash the check engine light.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:43 PM
Mr.Guns
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

As ridiculous as it may sound, check the ignition switch. Remove it, disassemble it, clean it, add dielectric grease, and reassemble. I was having electrical gremlin problems for DAYS before I took mine apart. Everything electrical runs through that switch.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:49 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickHenninger
As ridiculous as it may sound, check the ignition switch. Remove it, disassemble it, clean it, add dielectric grease, and reassemble. I was having electrical gremlin problems for DAYS before I took mine apart. Everything electrical runs through that switch.
Ditto, but I wouldn't disassemble it. Had a similar problem, including no response when hitting the start button. Wiggled the switch left and right and it came back to life. The main ignition switch became position sensitive. Replaced it and all has been fine. Disassembled the switch after I replaced it and it looked like it had seen some high current. One of the contacts had sunken into the plastic. Also the hard dtop in the right hand position had worn allowing it to rotate a little too far and breaking contact. Try the wiggling left to right and see what happens. With to old switch my tail lights were going on and off too. Depended on the switch position.

Let us know what you find..

Last edited by Pitbull_Dallas; 08-18-2014 at 06:13 PM.