Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

Question for NC riders

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 09:17 PM
mctecnica
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for NC riders

I had read that NC will only accept a MSF course driving test waiver for courses taken at a community college. I plan to take the course offered through the Army on post and wasn't sure if it would count when I go into the DMV for my license. my other question is, will NC let you tag and title a bike with only a motorcycle learners permit? The NCDOT website isn't much help.

Last edited by mctecnica; 02-22-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:10 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 449 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by mctecnica
I had read that NC will only accept a MSF course driving test waiver for courses taken at a community college. I plan to take the course offered through the Army on post and wasn't sure if it would count when I go into the DMV for my license. my other question is, will NC let you tag and title a bike with only a motorcycle learners permit? The NCDOT website isn't much help.
1) contact the base personell. I BELIEVE the Army uses the MSF class.
2) you can tag and insure a bike in NC with just a permit. You can ride anywhere (in state), at any time... you just can't carry a passenger

You will still have to take the NC motorcycle written test, in order to get your permit.
If you have a license from another state, you will only need the writen test.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:36 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

I have heard that some safety classes on base are just that "Safety Classes" not MSF... I know the one at SJAFB is MSF not sure about Bragg, Pope, Cherry Point or Lejeune though... Would make sure before i actually took it....My sister in law is ready to take the one at SJAFB and it is approved by DMV.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:43 AM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As long as it is an MSF course and you have the MSF certificate to give the DMV it's good. Doesn't matter if it's through a community college.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:46 PM
mctecnica
Advanced

Oh okay. Yeah I think the one at Bragg might just be a safety class. I'll be taking the class in Korea so I'm gonna double check on the MSF course certificate. Even if it doesn't count I'll probably still take it anyway since it's a free.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:52 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Hell it's free...**** yeah. take it.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:00 PM
mctecnica
Advanced

Did a little more research turns out the class offered at Bragg issues you a "Bragg MSF card" and I guess that is somehow different then the one issued by the actual MSF. Hence why the DMV doesn't accept it.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:59 AM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mctecnica
Did a little more research turns out the class offered at Bragg issues you a "Bragg MSF card" and I guess that is somehow different then the one issued by the actual MSF. Hence why the DMV doesn't accept it.
Just a theory but it could be that they follow the MSF course guidelines for instruction, but may not have any MSF certified instructors teaching the course. My MSF card is signed by the instructor with his MSF instructor ID number.

Do they require you to take the Bragg MSF course to ride on base? If so, would they accept an MSF course taken at a community college? If you're going to have to take an MSF course at a community college to get your license, it would be stupid for them to make you take the Bragg MSF course as well. But, with the military it wouldn't surprise me. When I was in the military in CT, I had to get a license from the state and then take the base's motorcycle safety course (no MSF back then) to get a sticker to ride on base. The stupid part was the state's riding test was much harder than the base's riding test.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:05 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

I am pretty sure the Bragg safety test is for folks that have liscences but didn't take the MSF. I am pretty sure they recognize the MSF.