Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 48 - Battery/ Electrical problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 05:44 PM
Zanejjnelson1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 48 - Battery/ Electrical problem?

So about 2 weeks ago I accidentally left my lights on overnight and drained the battery, used a battery tender to charge it back up and since it hasn't been the same. Most start up's (cold start) aux lights come on, switch to ignition and all power dies, do that maybe 2 more times and it stays on long enough for me to get started and rolling. Riding around all day, all over town still hasn't charged the battery up enough to fix this issue. So it leads me to to think maybe something else is wrong? Today I was riding to work and it died on me at 45 mph, clutched in and rode it onto the sidewalk. Got it started back up again and made it to work. Died the same way to me 2 more times coming home just now, and this is the error code its throwing now. Prior to today there was no error codes, because I was checking trying to see if I could figure out what was going on if it was a bad cell in the battery or some other problem. I can't find this code anywhere though? Are the 2014's different?

Old 01-18-2015, 06:12 PM
Gab48
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Zanejjnelson1
So about 2 weeks ago I accidentally left my lights on overnight and drained the battery, used a battery tender to charge it back up and since it hasn't been the same. Most start up's (cold start) aux lights come on, switch to ignition and all power dies, do that maybe 2 more times and it stays on long enough for me to get started and rolling. Riding around all day, all over town still hasn't charged the battery up enough to fix this issue. So it leads me to to think maybe something else is wrong? Today I was riding to work and it died on me at 45 mph, clutched in and rode it onto the sidewalk. Got it started back up again and made it to work. Died the same way to me 2 more times coming home just now, and this is the error code its throwing now. Prior to today there was no error codes, because I was checking trying to see if I could figure out what was going on if it was a bad cell in the battery or some other problem. I can't find this code anywhere though? Are the 2014's different?

Not sure about the 2014 but my 2013 had an issue with the battery that was covered under warranty. Something to do with the Voltage Regulator. Good luck.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:24 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

A tender isn't always the best device to recover a dead battery. If you have access to a traditional battery charger that would be a better beasty. Remove the battery from the bike and charge it over night. If you still have doubts about it you can get it load tested for free at many auto parts stores. If your bike is under warranty visit your dealer.

Get into the habit of taking your key out of the bike in future!

Old 01-19-2015, 08:11 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Zanejjnelson1
Can't help with the 2014 error codes, but it's a pretty sure bet that you have a problem with the charging system or a loose connection if it's dying while you're riding. The charging system should provide enough power to keep the bike running...even with a bad battery.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:33 PM
Zanejjnelson1
Cruiser

For those who checked in here that error code is an ignition error code. Apparently within my ignition module (the spot where you put your key in) the wire that goes into the back is not making a consistent connection and acting as if it has turned back off. So push that cable in causes a regular strong normal start. Waiting for my new module to come in now.