Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

white spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 10:11 PM
jonesjd
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default white spark plugs

I own a new XL1200n. This was my first Harley, and I wanted the Harly sound so I knocked out my baffles. The bike sounds great!, but after a couple hundred miles i pulled my plugs and they are white. I went to the local harley shop and asked for a down load to re-map my computer and they said i had to by a stage 1 kit. My question is, will running my bike in this condition be harmful. If so can I just get my 1200 re-mapped with out installig a stag one kit.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:12 AM
tatkin
Banned
Default RE: white spark plugs

No, holes in the top of pistons are good.

ORIGINAL: jonesjd

I own a new XL1200n. This was my first Harley, and I wanted the Harly sound so I knocked out my baffles. The bike sounds great!, but after a couple hundred miles i pulled my plugs and they are white. I went to the local harley shop and asked for a down load to re-map my computer and they said i had to by a stage 1 kit. My question is, will running my bike in this condition be harmful. If so can I just get my 1200 re-mapped with out installig a stag one kit.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:24 AM
drum412
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find a new shop! I guess the reason they won't re-map is maybe because they can't keep it in terms with warranty, since the remap is based on their stage one kit, and definately not based on someone knocking thier baffles out. But still i'd think you should be able to get a re-map seperate if asked for and it is needed. And yes, it's bad for the bike, it's running lean and hotter than it should. I'm so glad my bike is carburated!!!

Old 05-15-2007, 01:33 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know where everyone gets this stage one stuff. Harley calls it a race tune.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:53 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dallastx

I don't know where everyone gets this stage one stuff. Harley calls it a race tune.
Actually Dallas, Harley lists Stage 1 & Stage 2 performance kits & parts in their catalog. A rider installing a stage 1 kit, (pipes & A/C) who does not plan any more performance mods will usually make out just fine with a "Stage 1" flash. They also call flashing your existing module a remapand costs about $150. The term "race tuning" is usally usedto refer to the programming required whendrop $450 for their "Race Tuner" module.

There is a little more to muttercycle performance than drilling out baffels.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:15 AM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dobeckperformance.com if you want to richen it up and NOT spend a bundle

Old 05-15-2007, 01:16 PM
ryback
Tourer

Dallastx you need to do your homework before providing misleading & wrong answers. Again cHarley is right.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:21 PM
XLer8
Advanced

ORIGINAL: ryback

Dallastx you need to do your homework before providing misleading & wrong answers. Again cHarley is right.
Woah! Big words for someone who joined today! Feisty little newb I must say.[:@]

Old 05-15-2007, 06:05 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

ORIGINAL: XLer8

Woah! Big words for someone who joined today! Feisty little newb I must say.[:@]
"Feisty little newb" or not, at least he "does his homework". Many people that just join herehave been riding for many years. The number of posts one makes doesn't necessarlly = knowledge.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:38 PM
IronLegend
Tourer

[quote]ORIGINAL: cHarley

[quote]ORIGINAL: XLer8

Many people that just join herehave been riding for many years. The number of posts one makes doesn't necessarlly = knowledge.

cHarley:

SOooooo True! Thanks for that.

Quick Reply: white spark plugs