Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOW TO: Replace Jiffy Stand or Spring

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 02:31 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts
Default HOW TO: Replace Jiffy Stand or Spring

This is a how to thread just to help others in the event someone plans to change out their jiffy stand or spring.

I had to replace my 1" under kickstand with extension to a stock length kickstand with extension since I replaced my Burly Slammer 10.5" shocks to SG 11.5" air/oil shocks which raised the bike.

Changing the kickstand is a no-brainer and simple. There are only a few components: Jiffy stand, spring, 2 bushings, pin, pretzel clip

The difficult part is replacing the spring. I spent literally a day using different methods just trying to change the spring...rope around the wheel, ratchet strap, brute force, etc. Nothing really worked except this...."modified" penny method.
Used a floor jack to stretch the spring and place pennies between the coils:

Now install the spring FIRST (hook to frame and kickstand) then install the kickstand. Most instructions and methods indicate do the kickstand first. I found installing the spring first to be a lot easier using the length of the kickstand for leverage to place the kickstand in the mount and slide the pin with the bushings versus trying to stretch/bend the spring since the curvature of hook does not go into the kickstand easily.

Update: Forgot to tell you how to remove the pennies....remove the pennies (by hand or long-nose plier) with the kickstand extended out spring expanded (not retracted) like how you see it in the pic below.

Last edited by hscic; 08-21-2016 at 07:13 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by hscic:
GMRO (08-19-2016), JW1200 (08-20-2016), Ratwerke (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 02:50 PM
GMRO
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
This is a how to thread just to help others in the event someone plans to change out their jiffy stand or spring.

I had to replace my 1" under kickstand with extension to a stock length kickstand with extension since I replaced my Burly Slammer 10.5" shocks to SG 11.5" air/oil shocks which raised the bike.

Changing the kickstand is a no-brainer and simple. There are only a few components: Jiffy stand, spring, 2 bushings, pin, pretzel clip

The difficult part is replacing the spring. I spent literally a day using different methods just to change the spring...rope around the wheel, ratchet strap, brute force, etc. Nothing really worked except this....modified penny method.
Used a floor jack to stretch the spring and place pennies between the coils:

Now install the spring FIRST (hook to frame and kickstand) then install the kickstand. Most instructions and methods indicate do the kickstand first. I found this to be a lot easier using the length of the kickstand for leverage to place the kickstand in the mount and slide the pin with the bushings versus trying to stretch/bend the spring since the curvature of hook does not go into the kickstand easily.

SO there is a use for PENNIES on a HD?!?!?!

HD = hundred dollars

ROLF!

Great job and great info. I"ll have to remember this when I'm all about trying to manhandle a spring.

BTW, how are the RK airshocks? And height of the bike now???

THANKS!

The following users liked this post:
hscic (08-21-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 02:55 PM
drinktothat421
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

weird. maybe my 48 has a stock length stand? i bumped up to 12 inch shocks and 4 inch monotube in the fork with the same stand. it leans over more, but not much.

hscic (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 05:50 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by GMRO
SO there is a use for PENNIES on a HD?!?!?!

HD = hundred dollars

ROLF!

Great job and great info. I"ll have to remember this when I'm all about trying to manhandle a spring.

BTW, how are the RK airshocks? And height of the bike now???

THANKS!
SG shocks are great...smooth ride. It raised me but I redid my riding shoes with new soles to compensate for increased height. Thanks for the help

Old 08-19-2016, 05:56 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Good idea with the pennies, I'll have to remember that one!

hscic (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 05:58 PM
ElectraJim
Road Warrior

Received 658 Likes on 357 Posts

Great tip! I never knew there was any use for pennies other than annoying the crap outta me.

hscic (08-19-2016)
Old 08-19-2016, 06:22 PM
mskirwin
Club Member
Received 1,449 Likes on 1,085 Posts

There is a free YouTube video from fix my hog. Just google the following:

Kick Stand Spring | Fix My Hog
FixMyHogChannel

They show how to remove and replace the spring with ease. Sorry couldn't figure out how to copy the url from the site on my IPad.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:30 PM
AK883xl
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

I did mine with a crick and a screwdriver. No pennies needed, just a beer

Used the crock on the front brake lever (front brake on, bike doesnt move), leaned the bike against a wall, screwdriver to pull off spring and put on new spring.. Insert bolt, done.
Nice write up though, i wish i knew about the pennies before i did this

Old 08-19-2016, 07:21 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by mskirwin
There is a free YouTube video from fix my hog. Just google the following:

Kick Stand Spring | Fix My Hog
FixMyHogChannel

They show how to remove and replace the spring with ease. Sorry couldn't figure out how to copy the url from the site on my IPad.
Thanks. I subscribe to fix my hog and the video was not for a sportster. I wish it was as easy as moving the kickstand forward to remove/install the spring. In fact I searched and only found one YouTube which did not show me anything except what parts are needed for a sporty. But had a manual so was good enough to pick up the needed parts.

Last edited by hscic; 08-19-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:26 PM
Lonnie Mac
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Great job man! And great ingenuity also. But all ya gotta do to replace the spring is remove the rubber bumper. (it comes off easily by hand). Then you can retract the kickstand much more to where the spring can be removed and replaced. (Also by hand.)

It's how the sporty jiffy stand system is designed.

Mr_Taipan (08-20-2016)

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Replace Jiffy Stand or Spring