Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 05:56 AM
John Ha
Tourer
Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Exhaust

I have a 2014 1200C and it's bone stock. I really like it but the exhaust (stock) is a bit too loud and flatulent for my tastes.

I have not found threads here about quieter exhausts nor have I found any manufacturers that make "quiet" systems for the Sportster.

So I'm asking the expert/experience group - do you know of anyone that makes a quieter exhaust/muffler system for the Sportster or of a durable way to reduce the sound level a bit more? I don't think it will take too much.

TIA

Old 10-21-2016, 06:50 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by John Ha
I have a 2014 1200C and it's bone stock. I really like it but the exhaust (stock) is a bit too loud and flatulent for my tastes.

I have not found threads here about quieter exhausts nor have I found any manufacturers that make "quiet" systems for the Sportster.

So I'm asking the expert/experience group - do you know of anyone that makes a quieter exhaust/muffler system for the Sportster or of a durable way to reduce the sound level a bit more? I don't think it will take too much.

TIA
Very unusual to want a Harley and want quiet. Don't remember if the baffles are removable or not, but an option is to install Q (as in Quiet) Thunder Torque Inserts like the pic below from DK Customs. It is inexpensive and will quiet down the sound a little. If there is no screw holding the baffle to remove (which is where you would install the TTI), then you may need to drill a hole in your slipon. Here is the link to DK's website http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Thun...DK-TTI-158.htm

Another option would be to install quiet baffles, although not sure if the stock baffles can be removed without cutting them out. Don't have any info or links on quiet baffles but there are threads about using them to quiet down aftermarket pipes. Just do a search.

Last edited by hscic; 10-21-2016 at 06:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
John Ha (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 08:01 AM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

I don't like loud exhaust but I at least want one that is louder than the top end noise a sportster makes. My engine noise was louder than my stock exhaust. Heck the screamin eagle slip ons I have now are just barley louder than the top end noise. Good luck with that. If you restrict the mufflers any more than they already are, your bike will run like crap.

Last edited by hexnut; 10-21-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:50 AM
deadrubberboy
Road Master
Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

If you're wanting to replace the exhaust entirely, the Patriot Defender has a flap you can adjust to make it louder/quieter. Never heard one in person only on Youtube.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:55 AM
drinktothat421
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

I would think stock is as quite as you would need or can get.. but you could tri to add a quite baffle, but to drill out the old one to add a new baffle seems silly. . It is a Harley, noise is apart of the purchase. Wind while riding is more damaging to your hearing then exhaust noise.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:02 AM
hexnut
Banned

Ear plugs.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:18 AM
sawka
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I genuinely wanted to get rid of my sportster because i hate loud bikes. I dont appreciate the people at meets and what not who have loud pipes just to have them. In the country, who cares, but in a city theres a line between wanting cars to hear you and wanting everyone to think youre cool by having the loudest pipes imaginable. Personally if I have to stop a conversation mid sentence because youre within a one block radius I really dont appreciate them. I experimented with plenty of setups by putting junk in my pipes and settled on half of some baffles (cut in half and turned around) and the tti's that are flat not wave shaped. Still not quiet but ive heard people ride my bike and it does not sound that bad at all unless they are full on the throttle.

John Ha (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 11:46 AM
Derf_
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Get a yamaha bolt. Problem solved.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:49 AM
hexnut
Banned

Yeah Yamaha bolts are so quiet because you don't want anyone to look up and see you riding it. LOL

Guzzi (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 11:54 AM
deadrubberboy
Road Master
Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by drinktothat421
Wind while riding is more damaging to your hearing then exhaust noise.
Agreed. Many people under estimate the effects of the wind on your hearing. Esp long term.

Originally Posted by sawka
in a city theres a line between wanting cars to hear you and wanting everyone to think youre cool
I dig the sound, but also didn't want obnoxious loud so I put quiet baffles in my pipes. Still loud, but to my ear, it's deeper and cooler.

"Loud pipes save lives" is statistically inaccurate too. Most accidents involving bikes/cars are due to cars turning left in FRONT of the bike. The exhaust sound comes out the back. Lights forward saves lives, not sound backwards.

To each his own. I don't fault guys for wanting loud, it's fun. Just not my thing personally, and I don't accept that they do it for anything other than the fact that...

Quick Reply: Exhaust