Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FP3 is awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 03:46 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

FP3 is the ****! Helped my bike immensely...dont listen to the negative nancys.

The following users liked this post:
hstrawn (09-18-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 04:15 PM
vanceandhines
Former Sponsor
Received 178 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by aswracing
The thing causes me a huge amount of grief. Many days I wish it had never been invented. The lack of a wideband tuning capability, and V&H's closed ecosystem for tune sharing, are both huge problems for me. These things manifest themselves in the form of huge customer service issues. I'm on the verge of telling people no, we're not going to support it.

But my requirements are different from yours. So this doesn't really apply to you.
Coming soon... we are always developing new features and add-ons. Many of which stem from consumer and dealer requests.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:08 PM
aswracing
Road Captain
Received 516 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Vhcneely
Coming soon... we are always developing new features and add-ons. Many of which stem from consumer and dealer requests.
  1. A way to pull the bike's original tune and email it.
  2. A way to pull the bike's current tune and email it.
  3. A PC application that would allow a person to change table values and settings within the tune. Check out WinPV. It's very, very well done.
  4. A way to accept a tune received by email, and load it onto the FP3 and flash it.
  5. Wideband autotune capability.
  6. Wideband closed loop capability.

Numbers 1 through 4 would make the device useful to me and my customers. I would stop steering my customers away from it if it could do those things.
Number 5 would make it something I would recommend.
Number 6 would be icing on the cake.

But until it can do numbers 1 through 4, I have no use for it. We'll continue to push the PV.

apache snow (06-20-2019)
Old 09-11-2017, 06:22 PM
14IronCross
Banned
Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts

When I had my fp3 I loved it.
I agree with DK, for a stage1 it is great.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:29 PM
Grey_Beard
Tourer
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm 58 years old and very happy at staying with stage 1, extremely pleased with the FP3.

hstrawn (09-18-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 07:00 PM
Old Rust
Tourer
Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I was thinking of making a new thread about the FP3 and my experience but it fits here.

I read a LOT of posts about the FP3 and the PV. Yes I think the PV is probably overall better. But for Stage 1 (like many have said in this thread) the FP3 does an excellent job and good for beginners or those who don't want to learn everything there is about tuning but just want their bike running great.

I've been auto tuning for a few months now. Not every ride, only at first. Then every once in a while when I was riding on new roads that were a different demand on the bike.

I've accomplished what I call a really great tune so it worked fine for me.
But today I realized that tuning over time you don't realize the difference between the stock tune and your final auto tune. So I loaded the stock tune today and rode about 75 miles.

Wow! The first thing I said to myself was "this is the bike that I bought and didn't like the way it was running". The difference was night and day. Heat was back, loss of low end torque was back, popping was back.

So yea, the FP3 was worth the money I paid for it and I really like the smartphone feature of monitoring while I ride.

I think that was 3 cents worth
PS. Now if they would come out with that manual.

hstrawn (09-18-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 11:55 PM
Old Iron Man
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Rust
I was thinking of making a new thread about the FP3 and my experience but it fits here.

I read a LOT of posts about the FP3 and the PV. Yes I think the PV is probably overall better. But for Stage 1 (like many have said in this thread) the FP3 does an excellent job and good for beginners or those who don't want to learn everything there is about tuning but just want their bike running great.

I've been auto tuning for a few months now. Not every ride, only at first. Then every once in a while when I was riding on new roads that were a different demand on the bike.

But today I realized that tuning over time you don't realize the difference between the stock tune and your final auto tune. So I loaded the stock tune today and rode about 75 miles.

Wow! The first thing I said to myself was "this is the bike that I bought and didn't like the way it was running". The difference was night and day. Heat was back, loss of low end torque was back, popping was back.

So yea, the FP3 was worth the money I paid for it and I really like the smartphone feature of monitoring while I ride.

So Old Rust... I can't tell by your post if you liked it, then sort of didn't, then really didn't, then did? Right up until you said it was worth the money, I had virtually the same experience. The first few days the canned map was great. Almost 100% of decel popping was gone, and power was up. That's what made me start this thread. I even did an auto tune. A pretty long one, and I believed it was better, but then it got kinda worse, so I went back to canned map, and then back, and then back again. Decel pop and backfires are out of control. I don't know how this thing managed to be great at first, and then suck a few days later, but it did. Returning to Amazon, and ordering a PV from Jamie at Fuel Moto. Learned my lesson. I will listen to the forum experts next time. I'm not going to dyno, or run wires and hook this thing onto my handlebars. I'm going ask Jamie for a map, tune, and put it away. I just want to ride and enjoy the bike.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:34 AM
Old Iron Man
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Rust

OK I re-read your post. I "think" you are saying that you really like your FP3 "really great" auto tune that took multiple rides to complete, and that when you put it back to the canned map, it sucked compared to the map you created with auto tune. Is that right? So should I do another auto tune instead of returning this thing? Can I add to the one I started and finished, or do I need to start over?

Old 09-18-2017, 08:49 AM
Old Rust
Tourer
Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Iron Man
OK I re-read your post. I "think" you are saying that you really like your FP3 "really great" auto tune that took multiple rides to complete, and that when you put it back to the canned map, it sucked compared to the map you created with auto tune. Is that right? So should I do another auto tune instead of returning this thing? Can I add to the one I started and finished, or do I need to start over?
You got it now.

It took a fair amount of auto tuning but then again I don't put on the kind of mileage that some people do and we had a ton of rain this summer which I don't really ride in.

So there were a lot of incremental improvements over time. When I went back to the stock map after some months I really saw the difference. Bike ran like crap. It was like night and day.

The FP3 does the job. A few aspects of it are just a little tricky when auto tuning and loading maps. Could you have accidentally loaded your stock map back? Or started a brand new auto tune? Those are the two things that would give you the results that you mentioned. Or something else changed on your bike (A/C, exhaust leak, etc).

I think at a minimum it takes 2-3 gas tanks full to auto tune. I shoot for a very varied ride with straight aways on highways, hills, in town riding using many throttle positions and RPM's.
There are some great posts on here about auto tuning.

Last edited by Old Rust; 09-18-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Old Iron Man (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 09:26 AM
waterfordhunter
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

I am completely happy with my FP3. It did exactly what I wanted it to do with my stage 1 upgrade. Eventually I will be doing a Hammer 1275 to my bike and at that point will invest in the PV. Hindsight being 20/20, I probably should have bought the PV from the start and saved myself some money when I do the 1275.

Old Iron Man (09-18-2017)

Quick Reply: FP3 is awesome!