Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 11:50 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by handirifle
It's amazing what a few extra inches of travel can do for the ride. I am tempted to go from 12's to 14's on mine and get longer forks. I need to raise my bike 2" in my shop to see how well I can plant my feet before I do though.
Originally Posted by lewk
!!!!!

Are we still talking about shock absorbers??

hahaha, yep!

The best possible rear suspension on the Sporty is the 14" shocks WITH lowering blocks. This keeps it at the height of 13" shocks, & puts more leveraging on the shocks for improved articulation.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-14-2019, 02:13 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Lol yes I was at least. Reading this made me pull the trigger on a set off ebay. I got 13" ones for a bit more rear cush. Might add front fork extension later, will see.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:32 AM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

Here is a FAQ on air shocks for Sportsters that may come in handy as you go to install them.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...sportster.html

The following users liked this post:
cacomly (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 12:09 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Shanneba
Thanks for the link. Good info. Someone posted part of that link earlier and I actually used the shock part numbers to buy mine. Thanks

Old 04-19-2019, 09:54 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

I finally got my RK shocks. The seller said new 5w oil in them. They came with hex screws in the air port, but has the quick connect fitting. Just for the record, I CAN ride them with the plugs in, correct?

Also I read somewhere, what size air line, but do not remember, and also seems like someone had a link for that sized "T" fitting. Does anyone have that link and line size?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-19-2019, 09:56 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by DK Custom
hahaha, yep!

The best possible rear suspension on the Sporty is the 14" shocks WITH lowering blocks. This keeps it at the height of 13" shocks, & puts more leveraging on the shocks for improved articulation.
Would that setup give you more travel, or just changes the angle of engagement, to allow a softer ride?

Old 04-21-2019, 06:09 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

I finally got my RK shocks. The seller said new 5w oil in them. They came with hex screws in the air port, but has the quick connect fitting. Just for the record, I CAN ride them with the plugs in, correct?

Also I read somewhere, what size air line, but do not remember, and also seems like someone had a link for that sized "T" fitting. Does anyone have that link and line size?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, no problem to ride with the hex screws in. There will not be any air pressure, but it will not hurt them.

Wish I could help with the size tubing and T fitting today. If you shoot an email and ask, I have both those at the shop and can get that info back to you tomorrow.

Would that setup give you more travel, or just changes the angle of engagement, to allow a softer ride?
The 14" Max-Travel shocks have quite a bit more stroke than 13" touring take off shocks...so you would get more travel, the shocks are better, so better road compliance. The Lowering Blocks will keep the height of the seat the same with the 14" as if you were running the 13". btw, you can use the Lowering Blocks with your 13" air shocks and get the seat down a bit should you want it. Plus, the air shocks ride better with the improved angle they sit at with the LB's.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:47 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Ok thanks for the info. Most likely if I do not like the ride angle I will raise the front to match. These bikes are low enough for me. I don't want 31-32" seat height kinda thing, but hate scraping parts going over speed bumps, and a little more lean angle is always a good thing.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:50 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Oh and I THINK I found the size. I believe it's 5/32". I might just go with schreader valves and forget the lines. They are easy to reach even with the bags on.

KISS Keep It Simple Stupid. Thats what I used to say at work when training someone. Time to follow my own advice.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:53 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Oh and I THINK I found the size. I believe it's 5/32". I might just go with schreader valves and forget the lines. They are easy to reach even with the bags on.

KISS Keep It Simple Stupid. Thats what I used to say at work when training someone. Time to follow my own advice.
I've always used the Schreader valves on mine. Easy, and works well.

Quick Reply: Road King Shocks