Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 02:42 PM
TJ Guin
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Road King Shocks

I'm considering putting a set of Road King Shocks on my 2017 883 Iron. Has anyone else done this ? If so was it really worth it ?

Old 04-12-2019, 03:27 PM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts
Old 04-13-2019, 08:07 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

Best bang for the buck, I’ve had them for ten years and love them.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:12 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by TJ Guin
I'm considering putting a set of Road King Shocks on my 2017 883 Iron. Has anyone else done this ? If so was it really worth it ?
Yep, done it. Yep, worth it. I've also done the 13" touring shocks (folks normally call the 12" touring shocks Road King Shocks). They both are a huge improvement over stock, and much better than many of the aftermarket shocks folks spend hundreds of dollars on.

In our Rear Suspension Report, which you can see HERE, I would put the rating of the Touring air shocks at a solid 50...see the chart below to get an idea what I mean by that. Chart is taken from the report linked above.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-13-2019, 04:05 PM
samhallnc
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I would put the rating of the Touring air shocks at a solid 50...
I quit thinking about suspension when I got mine "good enough" with touring air shocks.. I no longer bottom out and break my spine like I did with the stock Low shocks. Sounds like you think the bitubo's are worth upgrading to for general ride quality? I bought my son a cheap dual sport bike for Christmas and rode it home along a route a regularly ride on the sporty and was blown away by how it absorbed bumps that I've just grown accustomed to bouncing over- before that ride I didn't know a bike could smooth out the road like that.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:57 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Originally Posted by samhallnc
I quit thinking about suspension when I got mine "good enough" with touring air shocks.. I no longer bottom out and break my spine like I did with the stock Low shocks. Sounds like you think the bitubo's are worth upgrading to for general ride quality? I bought my son a cheap dual sport bike for Christmas and rode it home along a route a regularly ride on the sporty and was blown away by how it absorbed bumps that I've just grown accustomed to bouncing over- before that ride I didn't know a bike could smooth out the road like that.
It's amazing what a few extra inches of travel can do for the ride. I am tempted to go from 12's to 14's on mine and get longer forks. I need to raise my bike 2" in my shop to see how well I can plant my feet before I do though.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:27 AM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 213 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by handirifle
It's amazing what a few extra inches ... can do ...
!!!!!

Are we still talking about shock absorbers??

Old 04-14-2019, 11:28 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

While the take off air shocks are a huge improvement over stock, when going with a quality shock like the Twin Adjustable or PA shock, AND improving the front suspension, with intiminators or, even just better springs and the sag adjusted correctly, it is a completely different bike....as you experienced when riding your sons dual sport.

The reason I mention the front suspension is that you can have the best rear shock in the world, but if your forks are still compressed by a bump when the rear tire hits the bump....that means you rear suspension is unloaded and will be harsh.

In most cases, having the front suspension working correctly will make the rear suspension feel much better.

Last edited by DK Custom; 04-14-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:34 AM
samhallnc
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
While the take off air shocks are a huge improvement over stock, when going with a quality shock like the Twin Adjustable or PA shock, AND improving the front suspension, with intiminators or, even just better springs and the sag adjusted correctly, it is a completely different bike....as you experienced when riding your sons dual sport.

The reason I mention the front suspension is that you can have the best rear shock in the world, but if your forks are still compressed by a bump when the rear tire hits the bump....that means you rear suspension is unloaded and will be harsh.

In most cases, having the front suspension working correctly will make the rear suspension feel much better.
I raised the front and installed intiminators after I swapped the rears out. The geometry felt strange until I did.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:46 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

I raised the front and installed intiminators after I swapped the rears out. The geometry felt strange until I did.
Cool, sounds like you're set to enjoy a more compliant rear suspension!

Quick Reply: Road King Shocks