Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble Maker Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Poddy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble Maker Trouble

For those who have these pipes I have one question - "Does yours scrape as much as mine do???"

I mean I love the look and sound of these pipes but they are not practical in my neck of the woods.

I scrapped the OEM standard pipes, slip-ons etc and only saw pictures of these and figured that they woudl sit higher, which I believe they do but they stick out so far that the right side of the bike has only a 2% lean LOL; well it feels like that.

Being one that loves the corners what pipes should I go for to replace these (only had them on for 3 days and they do look good but I want function over form where I can)

Do the V&H SS scrap real easy?

I'm at a lost, love the power I now have with the bike but I really need to do something about the pipes.

Cheers
Poddy

Old 04-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Biker Trash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Trouble Maker Trouble

one of the members has Pipedreams insomniacs on his nightster. They looked similar to the troublemakers but seemed to have alot more clearance.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:50 AM
kawsakimx6
Road Warrior

i only scraped mine once, and i was dug deep in to the corner. I feel that you would need to be way over to scrape them. sorry you do not like them, and the SS are a bit higher off the ground

Old 04-07-2008, 12:01 PM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You have one of the lowered models?

If so, the *only* thing you can do (and should do since you love the corners so much) is put the right suspension components in to raise the bike back up to where it should be. I thought the Nightster was the hot ticket, but when I scraped parts before even getting it out of the parking lot, I took it back and said "no thanks".

For me, cornering is way more important than a hot look or overall power.

Motorcycles are inherintly stable cornering machines. Why anyone - ESPECIALLY the manufacturer - would cripple it by lowering it beyond usability is beyond me.

ORIGINAL: Poddy

For those who have these pipes I have one question - "Does yours scrape as much as mine do???"

I mean I love the look and sound of these pipes but they are not practical in my neck of the woods.

I scrapped the OEM standard pipes, slip-ons etc and only saw pictures of these and figured that they woudl sit higher, which I believe they do but they stick out so far that the right side of the bike has only a 2% lean LOL; well it feels like that.

Being one that loves the corners what pipes should I go for to replace these (only had them on for 3 days and they do look good but I want function over form where I can)

Do the V&H SS scrap real easy?

I'm at a lost, love the power I now have with the bike but I really need to do something about the pipes.

Cheers
Poddy

Old 04-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Poddy
Intermediate

Chorbe I hear you on this one

The bike still has the standard custom rear shockers and I have ordered new hagons which will be 1/2" higher but I don't think that will be enough; the pipes just stick out too far.

Cheers
Poddy

Old 04-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Elvis Nixon
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love tear-assing around the twisties myself and couldn't be happier with my Pipedreamz Nitemarez. As you can see from my sig pic, no worries about scraping...