Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences in Pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 10:46 AM
tbubbles
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differences in Pipes?

Currently, I still have the stock pipes on my Sportster. I am GOING to upgrade this spring, but I'm not sure which pipes I want. I am looking for the deep Harley sound, but I don't want to be obnoxiously loud.

Unfortunately, the cost puts Vance & Hines out of my options. But for my question, I am including them.

What are the differences among Screamin' Eagle, Rush, and V&H?

(I don't know if it makes a difference, but I am planning on getting the Stage I).

Thanks!

Old 04-25-2008, 10:51 AM
MacAttack
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Differences in Pipes?

I have SE Street Performance pipes and they seem to be a reasonable balance between sound and performance. If the accessory catalog is to be believed, these give more performance gain than the air cleaner, and don't require a re-map of the EFI. If you do the full Stage 1, then you'll be buying a new air cleaner, and it will be $150 to have your EFI re-flashed - or more if you swapped in a tuneable system.

I don't know about the others - I've found HD's accessories to be very good quality.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:58 AM
ChefE
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Differences in Pipes?

I have V&H Straight Shots with their standard baffles. To me, at idle, they are not extremely loud. They do get loud when I am on the throttle heavy, but they are not obnoxiously loud. They can also be fairly quiet (I use the term loosely) when needed. I work a 3pm-midnight or later shift right now (switching to 5am-1:30pm on Sunday)and when I get home, I just take it easy on the throttle and they do not disturb anyone. I have talked to my neighbors, and they said they can only hear them inside when I really get on the throttle. I also work at a major golf resort, and drive into work while people are on the tee or putting, and just keep the throttle under control and have had no problem with people saying the pipes are too loud. If the V&H pipes were as obnoxious as some people have said on here, The resort management would not let me on property with them. Hell, our Exec. Chef has louder pipes on his V-Rod and doesn't disturb the golfers. I guess it's really a matter of perception as to what you consider obnoxiously loud.