Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 04:43 AM
PurpleShark
Cruiser
Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Exhaust Ideas?

Any one have any bright ideas on options for exhausts for my 2004 Standard?

I have the standard pipes which sound a bit daft & a V&H set with both standard and "quiet" baffles that are (to my ears) a bit loud with a lot of decel popping. Plod here are a bit picky about loud pipes and it won't pass the MOT test either. But I do like the look of the V&H pipes.

So options & please don't just say "stuff'em all and run the loud pipes"!

Is standard pipes with SE silencers (mufflers) a good option? 3rd party silencers? Another make? I'm thinking better looking and a better sound... just not so loud!

Old 01-14-2017, 06:35 AM
Gaz B
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Just don't rush in, exhaust systems can be expensive.
Might be an idea to visit the local dealer, Indy or cafe one morning to see and hear what others have, you'll soon know what you want when it rumbles past!

Good luck!

Gary

Old 01-14-2017, 06:49 AM
PurpleShark
Cruiser
Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaz B
Just don't rush in, exhaust systems can be expensive.
Might be an idea to visit the local dealer, Indy or cafe one morning to see and hear what others have, you'll soon know what you want when it rumbles past!

Good luck!

Gary
Yes, very true a good idea. What do you think of yours?

Last edited by PurpleShark; 01-14-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:34 AM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts

Is it bad I read that entire post in a British accent in my head?

Any bassani or Vance and Hines true duals I've heard have been most likely too loud for what you need. SE pipes (slip one) that I've heard are tame in comparison and would probably be ok and still sound pretty nice to me. I use 2-1 pipes for the Tq factor riding around at normal rpms but they're kinda fence sitting as to whether you can get by with them. D&D fatcat definitely won't, a Bassani Road Rage is fairly loud. The Vance and Hines propipe is loud but not obnoxious unless you crack it open, pretty tame at idle and low rpm cruise around the neighborhood when I'm leaving in the morning.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:13 AM
Gaz B
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by PurpleShark
Yes, very true a good idea. What do you thin of yours?
Very happy with the Freedom Performance 2 into 1, it's a different sound (albeit loud) compared to the V&H Big Radius I previously used before they had to go when I converted to Mids.
I also have the quiet baffle for the MOT, now that's a nice pleasant sound and certainly won't draw attention from plod or neighbours!

Here's a link to a video with standard and quiet baffles, best listen with headphones or it'll sound naff.

Standard baffle

Quiet baffle

Last edited by Gaz B; 01-15-2017 at 02:07 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:15 AM
nhrider1
Road Warrior
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by PurpleShark
Any one have any bright ideas on options for exhausts for my 2004 Standard?

I have the standard pipes which sound a bit daft & a V&H set with both standard and "quiet" baffles that are (to my ears) a bit loud with a lot of decel popping. Plod here are a bit picky about loud pipes and it won't pass the MOT test either. But I do like the look of the V&H pipes.

So options & please don't just say "stuff'em all and run the loud pipes"!

Is standard pipes with SE silencers (mufflers) a good option? 3rd party silencers? Another make? I'm thinking better looking and a better sound... just not so loud!
If you want quiet pipes that perform well, consider the Supertrapp/Kerker SuperMeg (note:this may have changed recently to Silent Series, you want the ones with the tunable disks).

http://www.supertrapp.com/product_se...t.asp?CatID=60

They are quiet, tunable and beautifully finished. If you want more noise from them you can run an open end cap and probably still pass the MOT test.

If you prefer dual exhaust try their Internal Disc Series mufflers (silencers).

http://www.supertrapp.com/product_se...t.asp?CatID=60

I don't know how available they are on your side of the pond.

The following users liked this post:
PurpleShark (01-15-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 02:54 PM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

Just go on 'youtube' and put in ' Different exhausts for Harley Softail Standards'
theres plenty on there.

The following users liked this post:
PurpleShark (01-15-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 04:35 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

Supertrapp Supermeg will work perfectly for you...

Old 01-14-2017, 05:01 PM
Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Road Master
Received 639 Likes on 280 Posts

I haven't put them on my Slim yet, but I have a set of Cobra 3" slash cut slip ons that I'm installing once spring comes. These have tips that you can rotate into various positions (slash cut, baloney cut, etc.).

I did a bunch of research before I bought these. I had V&H Striaght Shot slip ons on my XL1200X with a Stage 1 set up and a SE Super Pro tuner, and they sounded amazing... And loud. But I wanted a different look for my Softail, and wanted something with more low end sound, and not quite as loud. I think the Cobras will work out fine.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:33 PM
jackafrica
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaz B
Very happy with the Freedom Performance 2 into 1, it's a different sound (albeit loud) compared to the V&H Big Radius I previously used before they had to go when I converted to Mids.
I also have the quiet baffle for the MOT, now that's a nice pleasant sound and certainly won't draw attention from plod or neighbours!

Here's a link to a video with and without baffles, best listen with headphones or it'll sound naff.

Standard baffle

Quiet baffle
Also have one of these with the standard baffle. Bloody loud when you're on it, quiet when you're toddling about or cruising on the highway.
Good power gains and smoothness after tuning compared to both SE and Rush Performance Slip-ons.
Short legs? You'll be toasty with these.
Love 'em.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Ideas?