Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuelpak

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 09:04 PM
NYSport
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuelpak

I had the dealer install shortshots and a fuelpak. So far I'm not impressed with the tune. The engine has poor throttle response at low RPM and some decel popping. I talked to a local dyno place and they recommend a PClll. I'd rather stick with the fuelpak and try to get some improvement before I spend money on something that may or may not improve the engine performance. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 07-05-2008, 04:56 AM
jerryh57
Tourer
Default RE: Fuelpak

Did you change out the stock A/C?? I think once you change pipes and add fuel pak, your gonna run rough (air starved to the max) until you get more air coming in.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:17 AM
Black No.1
Advanced

I have the shortshots and fuelpak as well. If you haven't changed your air cleaner, do it ASAP.&nbsp\\; You're runnin way too rich.&nbsp\\; My bike runs way better w/ the fuelpak and exhaust.&nbsp\\; I do have some decel popping, but it's hard to get rid of it all with such short pipes. I also had to change some of the settings in the fuelpak (per V&amp\\;H tech support).&nbsp\\; They were super cool, BTW.&nbsp\\; After being on the phone with them for no more than 10 minutes, most of the decel popping was gone.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:01 PM
jasperpso
Cruiser

+1 the fuel pak REQUIRES a high flow air cleaner..ie big sucker or se stg 1

Last edited by jasperpso; 08-07-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:01 PM
VBCH Nightster
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Black No.1

I have the shortshots and fuelpak as well. If you haven't changed your air cleaner, do it ASAP.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; You're runnin way too rich.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; My bike runs way better w/ the fuelpak and exhaust.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I do have some decel popping, but it's hard to get rid of it all with such short pipes. I also had to change some of the settings in the fuelpak (per V&amp\\;\\\\\\;H tech support).&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; They were super cool, BTW.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; After being on the phone with them for no more than 10 minutes, most of the decel popping was gone.
Which map are you using, which modes did you adjust, and to what settings?

Old 07-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Black No.1
Advanced

I'm using FP-0681. V&amp\\;H told me to change Mode 1 to 10 and Mode 23 to 20.&nbsp\\; Most of the decel popping went away.&nbsp\\; I don't you'll get rid of all of it with those short pipes, but it helped. I did get some low speed surging, tho.

Since my last post I found some other Fuelpak changes on another thread:
Mode 6 to 10
Mode 7 to 10
Mode 8 to 0
Mode 10 to 0

A little popping is still there, but the bike is much smoother across the board.&nbsp\\; I think I like these changes much better.&nbsp\\; I may still change Mode 23 to 20.&nbsp\\; Let me know if it works for you.

j

Old 07-08-2008, 07:33 AM
VBCH Nightster
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Black No.1

I'm using FP-0681. V&amp\\;\\\\\\;H told me to change Mode 1 to 10 and Mode 23 to 20.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Most of the decel popping went away.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I don't you'll get rid of all of it with those short pipes, but it helped. I did get some low speed surging, tho.

Since my last post I found some other Fuelpak changes on another thread:
Mode 6 to 10
Mode 7 to 10
Mode 8 to 0
Mode 10 to 0

A little popping is still there, but the bike is much smoother across the board.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I think I like these changes much better.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I may still change Mode 23 to 20.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Let me know if it works for you.

j
I'm using the same map. The map settings that came with my pipes indicated 20 for mode 23, although the Fuel Pack website indicates 22. I've been experimenting and have had the setting as low as 15, and I have it set at 19 right now. The lower settings seem to eliminate most popping however the low end performance seems to suffer as a result. I'm not so much concerned about popping as I am the occasional backfire, and the engine sometimes will cough when heading out after cold startup.
&nbsp\\;
I also changed the settings for modes 6, 7, 8 and 10 from the post you referenced, and it seems to help low end performance. The engine still coughs sometimes after the cold startup. Could be all the smoke in the air from the Dismal Swamp fire.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:21 PM
NYSport
Advanced

I had a stage 1 air intake installed at the same time the pipes and fuelpak were done. I'll check the settings tomorrow and let you know if I make an adjustment. Thanks

Old 07-10-2008, 06:59 AM
rdss
Road Captain

I am running the PC III and can totally get rid of the crackle on decel if I want.&nbsp\\; It is also capable of running just pipes, just an air cleaner and of course both.&nbsp\\; The PC III is way more diverse than the Fuel Pak in the fact that you can modify a fuel setting for any throttle position at any rpm.&nbsp\\; If the Fuel Pak has a low throttle position fuel adjust ment (at zero throttle) adding fuel there is what will get rid of the decel pop.&nbsp\\; With my Heavy Breather and Short Shots, I am at +13 duty cycles over stock and have just a little bit of crackle left, which I like.&nbsp\\; If I bumped it to 15, it would probably completely go away.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:26 PM
NYSport
Advanced

I checked the settings that the dealer used when they installed the pipes, intake and FuelPak, WAY OFF!!! As an example mode 6 was 20 and should be 7, mode 9 was 23 and be 2 according to the online guide. In all only 5 of the 29 modes matched the online set up. The engine is better by far but I think there is still room for improvement. I have surging, mild but annoying. And I still have more decel popping than I think there should be, althouhgh it's far better than it was.

j, I'll try your settings tomorrow and see if they work better.

Tom

Quick Reply: Fuelpak