Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CEL woes UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 07:55 PM
EricM
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL woes UPDATE

So I have been having trouble with the bike throwing several different codes since I had it dynoed with the TC88A. I think I have finally got it all fixed.

First I tryed to do a little trouble shooting and figured out the speed sensor and CPS are both fine. Then I tried to see if it was an ICM problem so I took it to the dealership with the stock 883 ICM in. They cleared the codes and said it was an old code. I got home and checked and they were back on. I then put the SE ICM in and CEL's were still there I took it back to the dealership where they worked on it and said it was probably a crimped wire somewhere. They went through all of the wiring and all was fine but they said the ICM was bad. I told them it was happening with both the stock ICM and the SE ICM. They looked at it some more and then said there was a glitch in the tach and the tach was bad. I told them to put the bike back together and order me a tach.(I can install it to keep from paying them)

I also called Daytona Twin Tec and they asked me to send them the ICM with a description of the problem. I got a call a few days later from Chris at Daytona and he asked me again what it was doing. Long story short they sent me a new module no questions asked. I installed it on the bike and no CEL's yet. I checked the diagnostics to make sure and the speedo is showing the U1016 code but the turn signals aren't flashing like they were before. I hope this is because I haven't set the right speed for the bike. I didn't buy the USB cable so I have to take it back to the indy that dynoed it to set the speed.(unless someone lives in the Atlanta Georgia area that will let me borrow one. : ) Thanks to all that helped me figure this thing out.

Eric

Old 09-09-2008, 01:32 PM
ssyoumans
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up a Used '05 Road King with a TC88A. I get the U1016 code and the U1255 codes. I'm not real happy with Daytona Twin Tec's tech support. I typed up a detailed question with follow up questions and their response was "You can ignore these diagnostic codes." uh.. how about explaining why they keep getting set? This unit is suppose to be compatible with the J1850 bus.

I e-mailed them back asking why my bike would crank when the TSSM module was ARMED and their response back was "You should not be able to crank the bike as this is a function controlled by the TSSM." No sh*t, that's why I was asking if my TC88A was defective. Anyhow, I live in Atlanta, and just ordered a USB-INTF cable. If you want to give it a try, I'd be interested in learning how to use it. Shoot me a PM if you still need to use the cable.